Saturday, May 29, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Linux on an external HD

I have a eeePC 900 that came with a 160 GB HD with Windows XP on it. I use
part of that for /home (50 GBs or so) and run Ubuntu 10.04 full version as I
don't like the NBR interface on the SD card. I also have a eeePC 701 with a
20 GB SSD that came with Xandros which sucks BTW (at least four years out of
date) that uses 8 GBs and it has Windows XP in the remaining 12 GBs. I run
several distributions from SD cards there.

Both eeePCs and my desktop HP computer use the ESC key at boot time to bring
up the built in boot manager. From that I can choose which device to boot. I
always write grub to the drive on which it is installed and not the MBR.
That way I can control the devices and even remove them without fouling up
grub. This way everything in grub is (hd0,0) which means first drive first
partition.

When I use an external HD (1 TB) I use hd0 but vary the partition and write
to MBR of the external HD. I have Fedora 12, MEPIS 8.5, Sidux and PCLinuxOS
installed on that drive plus four large partitions for backup and data
storage. I get plenty of practice fixing grub as each distro is better or
worse for handling other installed distributions. Ubuntu detects everythign
and is almost fail proof. Fedora on the other hand recognises little outside
of Fedora. MEPIS, PCLOS and Sidux is quite good, but Sabayon on a separate
drive does not pick up anything but itself. I usually have at least six or
seven distros installed at one time plus more on several VMs.

I will replace Fedora 12 with 13 shortly and try the new Mandriva and
openSuSE when they are final. I should give Mint a try when it catches up to
Ubuntu. Linux is great if you are a Linux junkie!

Roy

On 29 May 2010 09:00, J <dreadpiratejeff@gmail.com> wrote:

>
>
> On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 08:53, Roy <linuxcanuck@gmail.com<linuxcanuck%40gmail.com>>
> wrote:
> > I am running Ubuntu 10.04 from a 16 GB SD card on my netbook.
>
> Roy, what kind of netbook do you have, and how did you get an SD slot to
> boot?
>
> I've looked at my Lenovo S-10, and one that one of my students had,
> and neither of us could get that working. IN our cases, the SD slot
> didn't present as a device until after the OS was loaded... the BIOS
> didn't recognize it as a device by itself, even with an SD card
> plugged in.
>
> Cheers
> Jeff
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment