Saturday, May 29, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Linux on an external HD

Yes. You can even install Linux to an 8 GB usb stick and it will run quite
well. I am running Ubuntu 10.04 from a 16 GB SD card on my netbook. I run
Fedora 12 from a usb external drives too. Check to see if your room-mate's
computer boots from usb first. Even if it doesn't it is possible to make a
CD to start the usb boot process; it just adds a second step. You could also
look into WUBI which installs Ubuntu in Windows without any partitioning.

see http://www.pendrivelinux.com/
http://wubi-installer.org/
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wubi

Roy

On 29 May 2010 02:32, searcher1 <searcher125@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>
>
> Linux can most certainly be run from an external HD. Before I upgraded my
> internal HD, I was using Ubuntu on an external HD for several months. Ubuntu
> was able to detect my computer's hardware automatically and could change the
> drivers automatically when I plugged the external HD into another computer.
> I am quite sure Mint can do likewise. You can choose not to mount the
> internal HD and nothing in there will be touched. I still use Puppy Linux on
> a USB pendrive and bring that with me everywhere I go.
>
> But 1 TB may be on the high side unless you are planning to install many
> distros. Mint will need about 20 GB only.
>
> Alex
>
> ________________________________
> From: Gabrielle <dawnyisrael13@yahoo.com <dawnyisrael13%40yahoo.com>>
> To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com <LINUX_Newbies%40yahoogroups.com>
> Sent: Sat, 29 May, 2010 2:57:55
> Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] Linux on an external HD
>
>
> Greetings,
>
> I first want to say I have been enjoying reading and learning from all the
> posts here.
> I have a question and please do not roll your eyes at me for asking this. I
> still have not been able to obtain a decent used computer for myself and am
> at the mercy of using my room mates. He told me I absolutely could NOT
> partition his hard drive and put some version of Linux on it. So, I have
> seen that the price of an iOmega external 1TB HD is on sale right now for
> around $80. Would I be able to plug in one of those to his computer and
> download say Mint since I am a newbie, and then only use it off of that
> external HD? Plus use it then on whatever computer I finally do obtain? This
> is so he will not know or complain. I am alone with his computer during the
> day, so I would have time to plug and play. I am not sure if these external
> HD's require downloading anything to the main computer you are plugged into
> or not. I do not want anything to show on his computer.
> Anyway, I hope this was not an eye roller of a question.
>
> Thank you
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment