Sunday, January 8, 2012

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Installaling a second Network connector

 

On 08Jan2012 17:05, Donald <tambeaud@personainternet.com> wrote:
| I am running Centos 5.5.3 on a Dell XPS M1210 laptop. This computer has
| only one Network port and I want to install a USB Ethernet adapter to give
| me an extra network connector. I have several of these little adapters,
| some with driver disk that claim to be Linux compatible. Being new to
| Linux, I can't get the computer to look for a driver on the DVD drive.
| Can somebody give me a few hints.

I would start by ignoring the driver disks. The linux kernel has support
for many adapters and I would expect the Centos kernel build to include
a lot of them.

So:
plug in USB adaptor
see if something new shows up in "/sbin/ifconfig -a"
see if "dmesg | tail -100" shows the adapter getting noticed

Let us know what transpires.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@zip.com.au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another.
- Walter Elliott

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment