Monday, January 9, 2012

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Installaling a second Network connector

 

Thank you Cameron but no cheers! Using the command /sbin/ifconfig-a on the first Terminal did produce the eth0 and lo and also wlan0. When I type in the dmesg |tail-100 ....I get bash command not found! So maybe I am not typing this command correctly.
I opened a second Terminal plug in an adapter, wait several minutes type dmesg | tail-100 ...I get again command not found. I then type /sbin/ifconfig-a ...this time I get the following
bash: /sbin/ifconfig-a: No such file or directory. I am at the root level when I am giving these commands.
It really seems that Centos does not see the adapter.
Thank you for you help. If you have any more suggestions, I would certainly try them out.
Thank you
Don
VE3HOL

From: Cameron Simpson
Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2012 11:48 PM
To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Installaling a second Network connector

On 08Jan2012 20:37, Donald J. Tambeau <mailto:tambeaud%40personainternet.com> wrote:
| Hi, I have tried ignoring the driver disk and just plug in the
| adapters, I have several. The system does not seen to notice anything new
| when I try the various adapters....no sound or any indication that the
| system has notice something new. I then go into file system and double
| click on the sbin folder. I then scroll down to the ifconfig folder.
| Double clicking on it or trying the file open, does not open the folder.
| I have tried the same thing on another Centros computer that is running
| our repeater and I am not able to open the sbin//ifconfig folder on that
| machine either.

My instructions were for the command line.

Please open a terminal.
At the command prompt, type:

/sbin/ifconfig -a

Note what inferaces are shown; probably "lo" and "eth0".

Type the command:

dmesg | tail -100

Leave it on the screen for reference.

Open a second terminal.

Plug in a USB adapter and wait a few seconds.

Type the command:

dmesg | tail -100

Is there new stuff at the bottom of the output?

Type the command:

/sbin/ifconfig -a

Are there any new ethernet interfaces shown?

Repeat with each USB adapter until one or both of dmesg and ifconfig show new
stuff (ideally both).

When ifconfig shown a new interface you can try to configure it with
whatever setup tools your desktop interface offers.

Anyway, please try the command line based experiments recited above and
report.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <mailto:cs%40zip.com.au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest do not happen at all.
The conscientious historian will correct these defects.
- Mark Twain, _A Horse's Tale_

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment