Tuesday, January 17, 2012

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Newbie seeking info

 

I have been teaching intro to Linux at a local community college since 2005 and I have been using Ubuntu as the example mostly. However now that Ubuntu has gone to Unity, which I really don't like, I have decided to teach the class using several distros including Fedora, Knoppix, Ubuntu, openSUSE and DSL.

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 09:49:56PM -0500, g.linuxducks wrote:
>
> > All of Linux distros are "Live Distros" meaning they all pop in and run
> > only the demo mode without installing anything and allow you to use
> > Linux in a limited fashion to decide whether to install it right from
> > the demo ' "Live Distro". It is not only Puppy that does that - all of
> > Linux distros do that in other words. (Either from CD/DVD or from USB
> > Drives and those also for Netbooks).
>
> Not all. Most do, but not all. Or, their live version will be somewhat
> limited, just a demo.
>
>
> >
> > I believe Ubuntu Linux is the best "presentation" of Linux and
> > especially for Windows lovers. These want a system that can do
> > everything that Windows does and better. Showing these Users a limited
> > Linux distro is certainly NOT turning them onto Linux as you think. In
> > fact they will laugh at you. If those are not presented with good cause
> > to leave Windows or add Linux they WILL go on their merry way with
> > Windows with the impression from a stripped down version rather than a
> > full blown does everything version.
>
> With Unity, a lot of people are now turning to Mint for that. I really
> don't know, with Unity, I hit ctl+alt+T and with Mint I do alt+F2 and
> type in xterm--I seldom use a mouse. Not that this is good or bad,
> simply saying that I don't personally know if Unity is bad as some folks
> say, or not.
>
>
>
> >
> > This is very simple. I can log onto Ubuntu Linux and check just about
> > all of several email acounts in the same amount of time it takes Windows
> > to fully load ready for use. That is NO exageration at all from myself
> > as a Windows lover since year 2001 (XP then Vista).
>
> Quite true. Gets even less if you use mostly command line versions,
> such as mutt. There are exceptions, and I won't say that your
> experience is always the case, especially these days with some of the
> more newcomer friendly, MS/Apple like distributions, but in many cases,
> yes.
>
> >
> > I think you would want to show that and a full blown Linux that rivals
> > Windows. Take it from a Windows diehard.
>
> Hard to say--Ultimate, which I think is mostly Ubuntu with lots of extra
> codecs and eyecandy, can impress people. One of my co-workers has
> really done up his Ubuntu workstation, with all the compiz eye candy,
> but in a quite useful way. He thinks I'm the geek with my openbox and
> xterm, and I think his desktop may, despite eye candy, be more
> practical--his is certainly more likely to impress a newcomer.
>
>
> --
> Scott Robbins
> PGP keyID EB3467D6
> ( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
> gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6
>
> Willow: I knew it! I knew it! Well, not in the sense of having
> the slightest idea, but I knew there was something I didn't know.
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment