Sunday, January 8, 2012

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Installaling a second Network connector

 

Hi, I have tried ignoring the driver disk and just plug in the adapters, I have several. The system does not seen to notice anything new when I try the various adapters....no sound or any indication that the system has notice something new. I then go into file system and double click on the sbin folder. I then scroll down to the ifconfig folder. Double clicking on it or trying the file open, does not open the folder. I have tried the same thing on another Centros computer that is running our repeater and I am not able to open the sbin//ifconfig folder on that machine either.
What I want to achive is a laptop with two network connectors so that I can configure one network connector as eth0 and the other connector as eth1, just like the main computer that is running our repeater.
Thank you for your help. If you have any other suggestions, I would gladly try them.
73
Don
VE3HOL

From: Cameron Simpson
Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2012 4:44 PM
To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Installaling a second Network connector

On 08Jan2012 17:05, Donald <mailto:tambeaud%40personainternet.com> wrote:
| I am running Centos 5.5.3 on a Dell XPS M1210 laptop. This computer has
| only one Network port and I want to install a USB Ethernet adapter to give
| me an extra network connector. I have several of these little adapters,
| some with driver disk that claim to be Linux compatible. Being new to
| Linux, I can't get the computer to look for a driver on the DVD drive.
| Can somebody give me a few hints.

I would start by ignoring the driver disks. The linux kernel has support
for many adapters and I would expect the Centos kernel build to include
a lot of them.

So:
plug in USB adaptor
see if something new shows up in "/sbin/ifconfig -a"
see if "dmesg | tail -100" shows the adapter getting noticed

Let us know what transpires.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <mailto:cs%40zip.com.au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another.
- Walter Elliott

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment