Friday, November 30, 2012

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Atheros and Linux

 

It was a lot of work, more than a year trying, but there were 3 threads, in ubuntuforums, that resume everything (the links in the blog mentioned previously). This worked for more than a year, until finally Ubuntu worked OTB for this driver.

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:
>
> This sounds like a lot of work to get a driver. How can you get
> build-essential or a driver without either a working wired or wireless
> connection? I have never heard of this situation with Ubuntu (only Debian
> with its stripped kernel).
>
> I think that something else is wrong because wired works OTB in Ubuntu in
> just about every case and Atheros is fairly common and should be supported
> in the kernel. If it was me then I would try the live disk again. Try a web
> browser in both wired and wireless networking. If the connection works then
> it should work when installed and something went amiss in the installation.
> Then I would do a fresh install. I would also consider using the newer
> Ubuntu 12.10 or Mint 14 unless you need LTS.
>
> Roy
> Using Kubuntu 12.10, 64-bit
> Location: Canada
>
>
> On 29 November 2012 11:02, Arturo <dr_ovalle@...> wrote:
>
> > **
> >
> >
> > My bad. Is not "essentials" is "essential"
> >
> > sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
> > build-essential
> >
> > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Arturo" <dr_ovalle@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Read this post, is mine, I can translate it for you, but Google
> > translator does a decent job, I'm a little short of time, but I will gladly
> > translate it for you if you want:
> > >
> > > http://experimentolinux.blogspot.mx/2007/09/ubuntu-704-i386.html
> > >
> > > Where it says:
> > > sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
> > build-essent
> > > it is an error, it has to say:
> > > sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
> > build-essentials
> > >
> > > I will recommend to use Copy and Paste to avoid errors.
> > >
> > > I hope it works for you.
> > >
> > >
> > > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jverhovec@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Does anyone have information about an Acer computer with Atheros
> > network specifications? Here are the specifications:
> > > >
> > > > - I am using a Acer Aspire 5349-2899 laptop
> > > > - Intel B815
> > > > - Acer Nplify 802.11 b/g/n
> > > > - Ethernet controller AR5B125
> > > > - Atheros driver v1.0.0.43
> > > > - IPv4 Address 192.168.2.3
> > > > - Default Gateway / DHCP server 192.168.2.1
> > > > - IPv4 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
> > > >
> > > > I use this chipset on my Windows 7 based computer. When I try to run
> > both Windows and Linux on the same computer using their method to do this,
> > I cannot connect using Linux. Why not? Do I need to use only one OS or the
> > other?
> > > >
> > > > Thank you,
> > > >
> > > > Jim
> > > >
> > >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (24)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment