Friday, November 30, 2012

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Atheros and Linux

 

This sounds like a lot of work to get a driver. How can you get
build-essential or a driver without either a working wired or wireless
connection? I have never heard of this situation with Ubuntu (only Debian
with its stripped kernel).

I think that something else is wrong because wired works OTB in Ubuntu in
just about every case and Atheros is fairly common and should be supported
in the kernel. If it was me then I would try the live disk again. Try a web
browser in both wired and wireless networking. If the connection works then
it should work when installed and something went amiss in the installation.
Then I would do a fresh install. I would also consider using the newer
Ubuntu 12.10 or Mint 14 unless you need LTS.

Roy
Using Kubuntu 12.10, 64-bit
Location: Canada

On 29 November 2012 11:02, Arturo <dr_ovalle@yahoo.com.mx> wrote:

> **
>
>
> My bad. Is not "essentials" is "essential"
>
> sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
> build-essential
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Arturo" <dr_ovalle@...> wrote:
> >
> > Read this post, is mine, I can translate it for you, but Google
> translator does a decent job, I'm a little short of time, but I will gladly
> translate it for you if you want:
> >
> > http://experimentolinux.blogspot.mx/2007/09/ubuntu-704-i386.html
> >
> > Where it says:
> > sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
> build-essent
> > it is an error, it has to say:
> > sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
> build-essentials
> >
> > I will recommend to use Copy and Paste to avoid errors.
> >
> > I hope it works for you.
> >
> >
> > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jverhovec@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Does anyone have information about an Acer computer with Atheros
> network specifications? Here are the specifications:
> > >
> > > - I am using a Acer Aspire 5349-2899 laptop
> > > - Intel B815
> > > - Acer Nplify 802.11 b/g/n
> > > - Ethernet controller AR5B125
> > > - Atheros driver v1.0.0.43
> > > - IPv4 Address 192.168.2.3
> > > - Default Gateway / DHCP server 192.168.2.1
> > > - IPv4 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
> > >
> > > I use this chipset on my Windows 7 based computer. When I try to run
> both Windows and Linux on the same computer using their method to do this,
> I cannot connect using Linux. Why not? Do I need to use only one OS or the
> other?
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > >
> > > Jim
> > >
> >
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (22)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment