Friday, November 23, 2012

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Atheros and Linux

Open a terminal and type lshw. Scroll back to the *-network section and
report back what it says. You can copy and paste just that section with the
mouse. Highlight and right-click or use the menu.

These links may help.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InternetAndNetworking

http://www.sitepoint.com/ubuntu-12-04-lts-precise-pangolin-networking-tips-and-tricks/

You can always get it working, even without a driver because as a last
resort the Windows driver will work.

Roy
Using Kubuntu 12.10, 64-bit
Location: Canada


On 22 November 2012 18:20, Jim <jverhovec@hotmail.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
> I can't even enable the WiFi using Linux . . . Here is what I try to do:
>
> - WiFi Icon shows "No network devices available"
>
> - System - Administration - Network Tools : Locked at (lo) w/IPv6 and IPv4
> Address and Netmask visible
>
> - accessories - terminal: /Desktop/boot/grub$ loopback.cfg is the only
> listed device
>
> I cannot install any software. I guess I am trapped in the world of
> Windows and I don't like it. Maybe I can figure something out.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jim V in Ohio
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:
> >
> > Likely you need SSID. I am not sure how your router is set up. Linux is
> > case sentive so keep that in mind. If you use WEP then it is not as
> secure
> > and may not work as well, but that is setup in the router and you need to
> > use the same kind of security as you have on the router.
> >
> > Linux tends to take security seriously while Windows does not. The trade
> > off is Windows is easier to set up. Once your Linux connection is set up,
> > though it should work as well.
> >
> > If problems persist then you can try Wicd (pronounced Wicked) which is an
> > alternative network manager. Some people have more luck with it. You need
> > to install it separately from the Software Center.
> >
> > Roy
> > Using Kubuntu 12.10, 64-bit
> > Location: Canada
> >
> >
> > On 21 November 2012 08:12, Jim <jverhovec@...> wrote:
> >
> > > **
> > >
> > >
> > > > Are you sure that the card is not working or just assuming because >
> you
> > > have no connection?
> > >
> > > I am not really familiar with the Linux Wi-Fi configuration. It may
> work
> > > well, but I cannot configure it correctly.
> > >
> > > I think the Atheros card is working - my Windows Wi-Fi works very well
> > > using the Atheros chip set. I don't know the different address numbers
> for
> > > Linux, nor how to find those.
> > >
> > > First I click on the signal icon on the upper task bar. That displays
> some
> > > grayed text "No network devices available" and a clickable "VPN
> > > Connections." That takes me to another menu to "Configure VPN..." Then
> I am
> > > at a "Networks Connections" menu.
> > >
> > > After I open the Wireless tab, I see my previously attempt called
> mylinux.
> > > I open the edit mylinux. Connect Automatically is checked. I see my
> SSID,
> > > Mode, BSSID, MAC address, and MTU.
> > >
> > > In the "Wireless Security: tab, I inserted my Wireless Security
> password
> > > and I used "WPA & WPA2 Personal" from my Security drop-down list.
> > >
> > > "IPv4 Settings" method is set to "Automatic (DHCP)."
> > >
> > > "IPv6 Settings" method is set to "Ignore."
> > >
> > > I just do not know what to use for my initial Wireless tab
> configuration -
> > > SSID, Mode, BSSID, MAC address, and MTU.
> > >
> > > What are these settings? How and where can I find that information?
> > >
> > > Thank you.
> > >
> > > Jim
> > >
> > > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Roy <linuxcanuck@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Atheros generally works well. It is in my netbook and I have not ahd
> a
> > > > problem ever on any Linux distro.
> > > >
> > > > Are you sure that the card is not working or just assuming because
> you
> > > have
> > > > no connection? You need to set up your wifi network before it will
> work.
> > > > You click on the networking icon and manage it by choosing Edit from
> the
> > > > drop down (Unity). Click on the wireless tab and Add. Provide your
> SSID,
> > > > tick 'connect automatically' then go the the Wireless Security tab
> and
> > > > choose the type and the passphrase. Then it should work.
> > > >
> > > > If you have already done this and it is not working then you may
> have to
> > > > provide us more information.
> > > >
> > > > Roy
> > > > Using Kubuntu 12.10, 64-bit
> > > > Location: Canada
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > On 19 November 2012 22:43, Jim <jverhovec@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > **
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > I loaded Ubuntu 12.04 on a partition along with Windows 7. The
> Wi-Fi
> > > works
> > > > > well with Windows. That is why I listed the specs. I don't know for
> > > sure
> > > > > how to configure my Linux network.
> > > > >
> > > > > A couple of years ago, I had stumbled upon a way to make my older
> > > Toshiba
> > > > > laptop work using Linux. That was a process, but it finally worked
> > > well. I
> > > > > ended up removing Windows from the hard drive entirely. Later, it
> > > stopped
> > > > > working altogether and I've been using Windows on an Acer laptop
> listed
> > > > > below:
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > > - I am using a Acer Aspire 5349-2899 laptop
> > > > > >
> > > > > > - Intel B815
> > > > > >
> > > > > > - Acer Nplify 802.11 b/g/n
> > > > > >
> > > > > > - Ethernet controller AR5B125
> > > > > >
> > > > > > - Atheros driver v1.0.0.43
> > > > > >
> > > > > > - IPv4 Address 192.168.2.3
> > > > > >
> > > > > > - Default Gateway / DHCP server 192.168.2.1
> > > > > >
> > > > > > - IPv4 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
> > > > >
> > > > > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Joan Leach <jleach728@>
> wrote:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > You don't mention which Linux or which way application you are
> using
> > > on
> > > > > Linux. Perhaps you could plug in an USB wi-fi adapter that is seen
> in
> > > > > Linux, or try various Linux Live CDs/DVDs to see which one has the
> best
> > > > > support for the built-in hardware?
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Joan in Reno
> > > > > >
> > > > > > --- On Mon, 11/19/12, Jim <jverhovec@> wrote:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > From: Jim <jverhovec@>
> > > > >
> > > > > > Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] Atheros and Linux
> > > > > > To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
> > > > > > Date: Monday, November 19, 2012, 5:32 AM
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Â
> > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Does anyone have information about an Acer computer with Atheros
> > > network
> > > > > specifications? Here are the specifications:
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > I use this chipset on my Windows 7 based computer. When I try to
> run
> > > > > both Windows and Linux on the same computer using their method to
> do
> > > this,
> > > > > I cannot connect using Linux. Why not? Do I need to use only one
> OS or
> > > the
> > > > > other?
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Thank you,
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Jim
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment