Thursday, November 22, 2012

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Atheros and Linux

Likely you need SSID. I am not sure how your router is set up. Linux is
case sentive so keep that in mind. If you use WEP then it is not as secure
and may not work as well, but that is setup in the router and you need to
use the same kind of security as you have on the router.

Linux tends to take security seriously while Windows does not. The trade
off is Windows is easier to set up. Once your Linux connection is set up,
though it should work as well.

If problems persist then you can try Wicd (pronounced Wicked) which is an
alternative network manager. Some people have more luck with it. You need
to install it separately from the Software Center.

Roy
Using Kubuntu 12.10, 64-bit
Location: Canada


On 21 November 2012 08:12, Jim <jverhovec@hotmail.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
> > Are you sure that the card is not working or just assuming because > you
> have no connection?
>
> I am not really familiar with the Linux Wi-Fi configuration. It may work
> well, but I cannot configure it correctly.
>
> I think the Atheros card is working - my Windows Wi-Fi works very well
> using the Atheros chip set. I don't know the different address numbers for
> Linux, nor how to find those.
>
> First I click on the signal icon on the upper task bar. That displays some
> grayed text "No network devices available" and a clickable "VPN
> Connections." That takes me to another menu to "Configure VPN..." Then I am
> at a "Networks Connections" menu.
>
> After I open the Wireless tab, I see my previously attempt called mylinux.
> I open the edit mylinux. Connect Automatically is checked. I see my SSID,
> Mode, BSSID, MAC address, and MTU.
>
> In the "Wireless Security: tab, I inserted my Wireless Security password
> and I used "WPA & WPA2 Personal" from my Security drop-down list.
>
> "IPv4 Settings" method is set to "Automatic (DHCP)."
>
> "IPv6 Settings" method is set to "Ignore."
>
> I just do not know what to use for my initial Wireless tab configuration -
> SSID, Mode, BSSID, MAC address, and MTU.
>
> What are these settings? How and where can I find that information?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Jim
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:
> >
> > Atheros generally works well. It is in my netbook and I have not ahd a
> > problem ever on any Linux distro.
> >
> > Are you sure that the card is not working or just assuming because you
> have
> > no connection? You need to set up your wifi network before it will work.
> > You click on the networking icon and manage it by choosing Edit from the
> > drop down (Unity). Click on the wireless tab and Add. Provide your SSID,
> > tick 'connect automatically' then go the the Wireless Security tab and
> > choose the type and the passphrase. Then it should work.
> >
> > If you have already done this and it is not working then you may have to
> > provide us more information.
> >
> > Roy
> > Using Kubuntu 12.10, 64-bit
> > Location: Canada
> >
> >
> > On 19 November 2012 22:43, Jim <jverhovec@...> wrote:
> >
> > > **
> > >
> > >
> > > I loaded Ubuntu 12.04 on a partition along with Windows 7. The Wi-Fi
> works
> > > well with Windows. That is why I listed the specs. I don't know for
> sure
> > > how to configure my Linux network.
> > >
> > > A couple of years ago, I had stumbled upon a way to make my older
> Toshiba
> > > laptop work using Linux. That was a process, but it finally worked
> well. I
> > > ended up removing Windows from the hard drive entirely. Later, it
> stopped
> > > working altogether and I've been using Windows on an Acer laptop listed
> > > below:
> > >
> > >
> > > > - I am using a Acer Aspire 5349-2899 laptop
> > > >
> > > > - Intel B815
> > > >
> > > > - Acer Nplify 802.11 b/g/n
> > > >
> > > > - Ethernet controller AR5B125
> > > >
> > > > - Atheros driver v1.0.0.43
> > > >
> > > > - IPv4 Address 192.168.2.3
> > > >
> > > > - Default Gateway / DHCP server 192.168.2.1
> > > >
> > > > - IPv4 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
> > >
> > > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Joan Leach <jleach728@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > You don't mention which Linux or which way application you are using
> on
> > > Linux. Perhaps you could plug in an USB wi-fi adapter that is seen in
> > > Linux, or try various Linux Live CDs/DVDs to see which one has the best
> > > support for the built-in hardware?
> > > >
> > > > Joan in Reno
> > > >
> > > > --- On Mon, 11/19/12, Jim <jverhovec@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > From: Jim <jverhovec@>
> > >
> > > > Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] Atheros and Linux
> > > > To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
> > > > Date: Monday, November 19, 2012, 5:32 AM
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Â
> > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Does anyone have information about an Acer computer with Atheros
> network
> > > specifications? Here are the specifications:
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > I use this chipset on my Windows 7 based computer. When I try to run
> > > both Windows and Linux on the same computer using their method to do
> this,
> > > I cannot connect using Linux. Why not? Do I need to use only one OS or
> the
> > > other?
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Thank you,
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Jim
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment