Wednesday, November 21, 2012

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Atheros and Linux

 

> Are you sure that the card is not working or just assuming because > you have no connection?

I am not really familiar with the Linux Wi-Fi configuration. It may work well, but I cannot configure it correctly.

I think the Atheros card is working - my Windows Wi-Fi works very well using the Atheros chip set. I don't know the different address numbers for Linux, nor how to find those.

First I click on the signal icon on the upper task bar. That displays some grayed text "No network devices available" and a clickable "VPN Connections." That takes me to another menu to "Configure VPN..." Then I am at a "Networks Connections" menu.

After I open the Wireless tab, I see my previously attempt called mylinux. I open the edit mylinux. Connect Automatically is checked. I see my SSID, Mode, BSSID, MAC address, and MTU.

In the "Wireless Security: tab, I inserted my Wireless Security password and I used "WPA & WPA2 Personal" from my Security drop-down list.

"IPv4 Settings" method is set to "Automatic (DHCP)."

"IPv6 Settings" method is set to "Ignore."

I just do not know what to use for my initial Wireless tab configuration - SSID, Mode, BSSID, MAC address, and MTU.

What are these settings? How and where can I find that information?

Thank you.

Jim

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:
>
> Atheros generally works well. It is in my netbook and I have not ahd a
> problem ever on any Linux distro.
>
> Are you sure that the card is not working or just assuming because you have
> no connection? You need to set up your wifi network before it will work.
> You click on the networking icon and manage it by choosing Edit from the
> drop down (Unity). Click on the wireless tab and Add. Provide your SSID,
> tick 'connect automatically' then go the the Wireless Security tab and
> choose the type and the passphrase. Then it should work.
>
> If you have already done this and it is not working then you may have to
> provide us more information.
>
> Roy
> Using Kubuntu 12.10, 64-bit
> Location: Canada
>
>
> On 19 November 2012 22:43, Jim <jverhovec@...> wrote:
>
> > **
> >
> >
> > I loaded Ubuntu 12.04 on a partition along with Windows 7. The Wi-Fi works
> > well with Windows. That is why I listed the specs. I don't know for sure
> > how to configure my Linux network.
> >
> > A couple of years ago, I had stumbled upon a way to make my older Toshiba
> > laptop work using Linux. That was a process, but it finally worked well. I
> > ended up removing Windows from the hard drive entirely. Later, it stopped
> > working altogether and I've been using Windows on an Acer laptop listed
> > below:
> >
> >
> > > - I am using a Acer Aspire 5349-2899 laptop
> > >
> > > - Intel B815
> > >
> > > - Acer Nplify 802.11 b/g/n
> > >
> > > - Ethernet controller AR5B125
> > >
> > > - Atheros driver v1.0.0.43
> > >
> > > - IPv4 Address 192.168.2.3
> > >
> > > - Default Gateway / DHCP server 192.168.2.1
> > >
> > > - IPv4 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
> >
> > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Joan Leach <jleach728@> wrote:
> > >
> > > You don't mention which Linux or which way application you are using on
> > Linux. Perhaps you could plug in an USB wi-fi adapter that is seen in
> > Linux, or try various Linux Live CDs/DVDs to see which one has the best
> > support for the built-in hardware?
> > >
> > > Joan in Reno
> > >
> > > --- On Mon, 11/19/12, Jim <jverhovec@> wrote:
> > >
> > > From: Jim <jverhovec@>
> >
> > > Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] Atheros and Linux
> > > To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
> > > Date: Monday, November 19, 2012, 5:32 AM
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Â
> >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Does anyone have information about an Acer computer with Atheros network
> > specifications? Here are the specifications:
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > I use this chipset on my Windows 7 based computer. When I try to run
> > both Windows and Linux on the same computer using their method to do this,
> > I cannot connect using Linux. Why not? Do I need to use only one OS or the
> > other?
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Jim
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment