Wednesday, January 16, 2013

[LINUX_Newbies] Graphics problem with Mint 13?

 

I have just purchased a Zoostorm PC with an Asus P8H61-MX motherboard,
8Gb ram, running win 7 (sadly, there are a couple of programs that I
need to use that will not run in Wine [:(] ), with the intention of
dual booting with either Kubuntu or Mint 13 KDE . At first, I had
problems getting any live CD or usb stick to run on this machine but,
after quite a bit of research, I was able to get Mint to run live using
"nomodeset". I had hoped that this would be resolved on a full
installation but the problem still exists - Mint hangs at the splash
screen and I have had to alter the grub.cfg to include nomodeset.

This is not a very satisfactory solution as I am not sure what I am
losing by using this and I find the cursor movement to be quite choppy
on Mint (fine on Windows obviously!). I am assuming that this is a
graphics problem from the onboard graphics card (which research seems
to suggest is an Intel). I am thinking that the only long-term answer to
this is to buy a dedicated graphics card but before I do, can anyone
suggest any alternative solutions? If it would be best to buy a graphics
card, what brand(s) would you suggest that are well supported by Linux?

The machine will be used for home and business purposes - no high-end
gaming or intensive video work.

Many thanks.
Frank

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment