Saturday, January 5, 2013

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: NEWBIE with first question

 


highskywhy@yahoo.de
Problem 1:Update Pangolin to Quantal and Update/Upgrade

Good morning
Sa Jan 05 11:34:59 2013
Thank You for help.

It doesn't sound right. I've used aptitude with Ubuntu. I think Ubuntu
doesn't include aptitude by default because they want to push their app
store. You usually don't want to make it easier for your competition.
Ubuntu is Debian, which Canonical has modified in order to suit their
purposes. Not everything about Canonical's agenda is positive from a
user's perspective. Them leaving out aptitude highlights that fact.
*
What will happen, when I do a mistake. I was reading also here:"problems".
What kind of problem.
I had the problem, I could not start update and Synanptic and
Softwarecenter.
With:
sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/* -vf
I could solve the problem.
Is there always a way to clean a "Linux-problem" or can I destroy the
whole Linux?

> I still think the best advise is use one, or the other.
> Mixing them can cause strange database corruption. I don't
> use Ubuntu because I feel it is not up to the same level of
> quality as Debian is. No feel about it really, I know Ubuntu
> isn't. Quality is not their primary goal. There are
> different motivations going on between the two communities
> to put it mildly.
> *
> Can I do the update with Synaptic?

You can do whatever you wish. Whatever you do try to be consistent about
it though.
*
Ok
I am starting
Synaptic.
I write the password.
And then?

As far as I understood
the task of the Synaptic is to
install or remove software like Blender or Inkscape.
Is this right?

Manual: "The Synaptic Package Manager enables you to install software
onto your computer and to manage the software, that is already
installed. The software is bundled in so called packages. A single
application can even exist of several packages: e.g. the Mozilla
Internet Suite is packaged to mozilla-browser, that contains the actual
browser, and mozilla-mail , that contains the mail client (this example
refers to Debian GNU/Linux and can be different on your distribution)."

Short question.
What is the name of software:
install Blender
install blender
install BLENDER
install BlEnDer
because Linux is case sensitive, isnt it?

Regards
Sophie

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (39)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment