Monday, January 7, 2013

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: NEWBIE with first question

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Pascal" wrote:
>
> Surprisingly 'apt-cache search' (that is the command for the apt-get tool) finds more packages. I didn't expect a difference here. Both are not only looking for the search term 'blender' in the package name but also in the description for the package, so you will get more than the package itself.
>
>
> BTW: Does anyone know why 'apt-cache' finds more packages than 'aptitude'?
>

> Pascal
>

I've had aptitude not display some results when using vague search strings myself. Then if I used the specific package name aptitude would in fact turn the package up, so things are in the database. I'm not sure exactly what causes that behavior, I'm just trying to confirm what you've seen. Perhaps when we see these things we need to submit bug reports? As we could simply be witnessing oversights. GNU/Linux is a community developed effort after all. That means all of us.

I use http://freecode.com/ (formerly freshmeat) the most in order to discover new Linux programs anyways. If folks in the community don't just clue me into new things. Microsoft Windows doesn't have anything comparable to apt-get, aptitude, etc. but they seem to manage, so I don't see why we can't too. I use package management in addition to other discovery methods, not as an exclusive, or even a first way.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (47)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment