Thursday, January 17, 2013

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Graphics problem with Mint 13?

 

Hmmm - you were right on the money, Roy, with your thoughts about Mint 14. Unfortunately(!) Mint 14 runs fine without nomodeset. I say "unfortunately" because it leaves me with a dilemma about what to go for. I did try updating the kernel in Mint 13 to the latest version available in Synaptic as I presume that is where the drivers are and, although it did boot, the graphics were all broken up.

Is this something that will work its way out in future updates or am I stuck with the problem?

Frank

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, linux wrote:
>
> Hi Roy,
>
> Thanks for the thought. The reason I chose Mint 13 was that it is a LTS
> version (5Years). I don't need bleeding edge and just want a system that
> will be settled for some time to come. I am coming from Mint 9 (Gnome)
> which was the previous LTS. I didn't want to get into Cinnamon or Mate
> so decided to go with KDE, largely on your own recommendations of
> Kubuntu and KDE in general!
>
> However, I might try a download of Mint 14 and try running it from a
> live usb to see if it makes any difference.
>
> Cheers
>
> Frank
>
> > Have you given any thought to trying Mint 14? With a newer kernel it may
> > give better results, especially with newer hardware.
> >
> > Roy
> > Using Kubuntu 12.10, 64-bit
> > Location: Canada
> >
> >
> > On 16 January 2013 09:18, frnk.newman wrote:
> >
> >> **
> >>
> >>
> >> I have just purchased a Zoostorm PC with an Asus P8H61-MX motherboard,
> >> 8Gb ram, running win 7 (sadly, there are a couple of programs that I
> >> need to use that will not run in Wine [:(] ), with the intention of
> >> dual booting with either Kubuntu or Mint 13 KDE . At first, I had
> >> problems getting any live CD or usb stick to run on this machine but,
> >> after quite a bit of research, I was able to get Mint to run live using
> >> "nomodeset". I had hoped that this would be resolved on a full
> >> installation but the problem still exists - Mint hangs at the splash
> >> screen and I have had to alter the grub.cfg to include nomodeset.
> >>
> >> This is not a very satisfactory solution as I am not sure what I am
> >> losing by using this and I find the cursor movement to be quite choppy
> >> on Mint (fine on Windows obviously!). I am assuming that this is a
> >> graphics problem from the onboard graphics card (which research seems
> >> to suggest is an Intel). I am thinking that the only long-term answer to
> >> this is to buy a dedicated graphics card but before I do, can anyone
> >> suggest any alternative solutions? If it would be best to buy a graphics
> >> card, what brand(s) would you suggest that are well supported by Linux?
> >>
> >> The machine will be used for home and business purposes - no high-end
> >> gaming or intensive video work.
> >>
> >> Many thanks.
> >> Frank
> >>
> >> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
> --
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment