Thursday, January 17, 2013

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Graphics problem with Mint 13?

 

Hi Roy,

Thanks for the thought. The reason I chose Mint 13 was that it is a LTS
version (5Years). I don't need bleeding edge and just want a system that
will be settled for some time to come. I am coming from Mint 9 (Gnome)
which was the previous LTS. I didn't want to get into Cinnamon or Mate
so decided to go with KDE, largely on your own recommendations of
Kubuntu and KDE in general!

However, I might try a download of Mint 14 and try running it from a
live usb to see if it makes any difference.

Cheers

Frank

> Have you given any thought to trying Mint 14? With a newer kernel it may
> give better results, especially with newer hardware.
>
> Roy
> Using Kubuntu 12.10, 64-bit
> Location: Canada
>
>
> On 16 January 2013 09:18, frnk.newman liverpoolscousermarch@yahoo.co.uk>wrote:
>
>> **
>>
>>
>> I have just purchased a Zoostorm PC with an Asus P8H61-MX motherboard,
>> 8Gb ram, running win 7 (sadly, there are a couple of programs that I
>> need to use that will not run in Wine [:(] ), with the intention of
>> dual booting with either Kubuntu or Mint 13 KDE . At first, I had
>> problems getting any live CD or usb stick to run on this machine but,
>> after quite a bit of research, I was able to get Mint to run live using
>> "nomodeset". I had hoped that this would be resolved on a full
>> installation but the problem still exists - Mint hangs at the splash
>> screen and I have had to alter the grub.cfg to include nomodeset.
>>
>> This is not a very satisfactory solution as I am not sure what I am
>> losing by using this and I find the cursor movement to be quite choppy
>> on Mint (fine on Windows obviously!). I am assuming that this is a
>> graphics problem from the onboard graphics card (which research seems
>> to suggest is an Intel). I am thinking that the only long-term answer to
>> this is to buy a dedicated graphics card but before I do, can anyone
>> suggest any alternative solutions? If it would be best to buy a graphics
>> card, what brand(s) would you suggest that are well supported by Linux?
>>
>> The machine will be used for home and business purposes - no high-end
>> gaming or intensive video work.
>>
>> Many thanks.
>> Frank
>>
>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>>
>>
>>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>

--

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment