Thursday, January 3, 2013

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: NEWBIE with first question

 


Do Jan 03 17:11:16 2013
highskywhy@yahoo.de Problem 1:Update Pangolin to Quantal and
Update/Upgrade questions Xubuntu
Good evening
Thank You for help.

> I was reading today, I should avoid using aptitude and
> apt-get on one computer.
> Is this right?
> Regards
> Sophie
>

I have heard that too, but have also had my system tell me I needed to
run apt-get to fix some sort of database corruption problem. So I guess
the most correct thing to say is you should stick with one, or the
other. Today Debian recommends using aptitude, but Ubuntu does not
install aptitude by default. Ubuntu is not exactly Debian so perhaps the
same recommendation does not apply?
*
I was reading
Ubuntu users should use apt-get and not aptitude, because aptitude is
special for Debian. Is this right?

I still think the best advise is use one, or the other. Mixing them can
cause strange database corruption. I don't use Ubuntu because I feel it
is not up to the same level of quality as Debian is. No feel about it
really, I know Ubuntu isn't. Quality is not their primary goal. There
are different motivations going on between the two communities to put it
mildly.
*
Can I do the update with Synaptic?

Regards
Sophie

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (38)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment