Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: NEWBIE with first question

 

On Wed, Jan 02, 2013 at 06:00:54PM +0100, highskywhy@yahoo.de wrote:
>
> > aptitude update && aptitude upgrade
> >
>
> That last command you suggested isn't a very good one. You should stick
> with "safe upgrade", if you upgrade at all. I really don't, I like how
> my system functions now.

> I was reading today, I should avoid using aptitude and apt-get on one
> computer.
> Is this right?

It's better to stick with one or the other. They use somewhat different
ways of keeping track of things, and while problems are relatively, in my
experience, rare, they could happen. Also, as was said, they keep two
separate logs so trying to troubleshoot afterwards is always easier if
you're just looking at one set of logs.

DISCLAIMER--I said rare in MY experience, but I don't use Debian or Debian
based, such as Ubuntu, so the fact that I haven't had problems mixing them
isn't a very reliable indication.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (36)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment