Tuesday, June 11, 2013

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Installation

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "mmorse757" <jm603@...> wrote:
>
> In preparation for a Linux install, I used gParted to split my disk into two parts and created a logical partition on my laptop so that I could install Linux on the second partition. The issue is, the installer gives the following three options:
>
> 1) use entire disk
> 2) set-up along side Windows 7
> 3) other (manual installation)
>
> I don't want to use option one as it will erase my Win7. I tried to use option 2 but what happens is that the installer wants to shrink my Win7 partition instead of using the 2nd partition. The only way to use my 2nd partition is for me to choose option three but then the installer expects me to manually setup the partitions.
>
> Has anyone had this issue? Is there a way to force the installer to use the 2nd partition? Or do I have to Google on how to manually set up the partitions using the second half of the disk?
>
> Michael
>

First, let me explain what options 2 and 3 mean. I assume you know
what 1 means since you mention not wanting to erase Win7.

#2 is for those who have NOT taken the step you already took: setting
aside a partition using a partitioning tool. In such cases the person
has a single partition with Win 7. The installer then shrinks the
Win7 partition and creates a second (or more) where it installs Linux.

#3 is for people like you who have already taken control of their
disk partitions and don't want the installer to do anything you
do not specifically say. This is the option you want in your
situation. When you select this, you will see your Win7 partition
plus some unpartitioned space. Put your Linux on this unpartitioned
space. A note however: If you have 4 GB or less of memory
you will want to create 1 to several swap partitions of approximately
2 GB each up to 1.5 times your amount of RAM. For example, if you
had 4 GB RAM, you would have 5 total partitions:
1. Win7
2. Swap 2GB
3. Swap 2GB
4. Swap 2GB
5. Linux root (/) partition of the size of your free space - 6 GB.

Now, I would suggest that if this is just to play around with Linux,
you might want to go back and expand your Win 7 partition to its
original size and select option 2 instead. The installer will
likely set up a default configuration that you can play with just
to learn what Linux is all about.

That was more than you asked but sometimes I just can't help myself.

Loyal

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (22)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment