Thursday, June 13, 2013

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Installation

 

On 06/11/2013 09:33 PM, Scott wrote:
>
>
> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 08:27:34PM -0000, mmorse757 wrote:
> > In preparation for a Linux install, I used gParted to split my disk
into two parts and created a logical partition on my laptop so that I
could install Linux on the second partition. The issue is, the installer
gives the following three options:
> >
> > 1) use entire disk
> > 2) set-up along side Windows 7
> > 3) other (manual installation)
> >
> > I don't want to use option one as it will erase my Win7. I tried to
use option 2 but what happens is that the installer wants to shrink my
Win7 partition instead of using the 2nd partition. The only way to use
my 2nd partition is for me to choose option three but then the installer
expects me to manually setup the partitions.
> >
> > Has anyone had this issue? Is there a way to force the installer to
use the 2nd partition? Or do I have to Google on how to manually set up
the partitions using the second half of the disk?
>
> You don't mention what sort of flavor of Linux you're using. Generally,
> once you click other, you're given a view of your current setup, and you
> should be able to click on the 2nd partition and choose to format it.
>

Scott,

I tried both Mint 14 and Mint Debian. Debian Mint gave me a plethora of
error messages and I didn't have the desire or patience to figure them
all out. Mint 14 is the one that I mentioned above. It it did not give
me the option to use only the second partition. I Googled on how to
manually configure the second partition and it installed just fine.

Although the installation went fine, I have had Mint 14 installed less
than 24 hours and it is already giving me issues. I think I have
narrowed down the reason though. I think (not 100% sure yet) that it is
because I added some KDE components like Kate and Konqueror. I truly
dislike Thunar and Gedit. If I can't figure it out, I may just try and
load Mint 12 on the laptop. 12 is working just fine here on the desktop.

Michael

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (33)
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment