Monday, February 8, 2016

[LINUX_Newbies] Running LAMP Stack

 

One of the biggest disappointments I have had in using Linux now for over 10 years is that it really does seem to be made for the command line junky far more than for the average or even above average "desktop" user. Even installing packages from a graphical user interface like Synaptics Package Manager often has problems because the descriptions are not complete enough to know what dependencies are required and the programs QUITE OFTEN don't even show up in the graphical menu system when installed.


Yes, I know this is a rant!. The Linux forums are like looking for a needle in a haystack and if you "Google" problems, you get all kinds of answers and more often than not, many of the answers are not correct and you get "chided" for asking a question that they say has already been asked. So, personally, I've just about given up on Linux ever being a viable DESKTOP for the majority of desktop users who are not also hackers or command line junkies.


I would like to learn web development and I need a viable MySQL, PHP, Apache configuration installed on my Linux system to get that done and it ain't easy getting answers. Why doesn't Linux have simpler or more complete documentation for the graphical user interface? Not everyone wants to use the command line as their primary means of doing things, as powerful as it might be. When you look at the online information for the command line, everyone gives you a different answer and they NEVER bother to explain what acronymns even mean. For example, they rarely bother to tell you that SU means SUPER USER. What does the DO in SUDO stand for? Just one example out of scores.


I'm just very disappointed after using Linux quite a bit on the desktop for over 10 years, even having a degree in computer networking and seeing such very poor documentation and answers when I try to zero in on a problem. But I have noticed with the many computer textbooks I had read over the years, the author nearly always starts out with simple steps, then begins to literally OMIT necessary steps as he goes on. That's why EVERY textbook and document should be reviewed by a layperson. Yes, I am ranting!


Anyone else feel this way or am I just out in left field all by myself?


Anyway, back to the original issue. Is there not a GUI way of installing a LAMP stack or do I have to use the command line? When I use Synaptic and attempt to install the PHP, MySQL and Apache components separately, I have always been running into issues. I'm trying to install contrete5 (a CMS) on my Linux Mint, but I've also tried Lubuntu, Fedora, LXLE - so far nothing has worked.


Jerry in Michigan, USA

__._,_.___

Posted by: bearjercares@gmail.com
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment