Thursday, February 25, 2016

[WAS: Re: [LINUX_Newbies] How to learn Linux]

 

On 02/25/2016 02:13 PM, Scott scottro@nyc.rr.com [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 01:59:27PM -0500, HalX halinux@frontier.com
> [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
> >
> > I'll go out on a limb to recommend, at your point in time, fetching the
> > Slackware 14.1 iso file or purchase a DVD; installing it on a HD..
> >
> > The distribution DVD is loaded with help and once running much much
> more..
> >
> > I've been running Slackware for 20 years now and learn something new
> every
> > day.. It's one of the few distributions that's really "Linux."
> >
>
> Are you familiar with Gentoo? It's another very handson distribution.
>
> Slackware is another great system too. Arch isn't bad for learning either,
> though my personal opinion, (and it's no more than that) is that from the
> 3, I felt I learned the most from Gentoo.
>
> --
> Scott Robbins
> PGP keyID EB3467D6
> ( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
> gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6
>
>

I've got a newer computer with Windows 8.1 in the living room that my
wife bought for me in 2012 so that I could play Final Fantasy XI with
her. It has virtualbox installed on it. I thought I'd try Slackware
on that. I downloaded an ISO of Slack 14.1. I got the install-dvd iso.
When I tried to boot it, it said that I needed an image for my kernel.
I ran memtest and that told me that my kernel is an AMD A6-5200 APU
with Radeon HD graphics. Where do I find an image with a kernel that
would fit that particular processor? I knew Slack was old, and in my
experience, old is usually better than new, but I expected the DVD image
to contain everything I needed to at least boot it.

__._,_.___

Posted by: Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (14)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment