Thursday, February 25, 2016

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] How to learn Linux

 

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 11:54:16AM -0600, Michael Sullivan msulli1355@gmail.com [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
> I've
> found hundreds of websites offering tutorials for how to learn Linux,
> but every one of them give a tiny bit of information and no clear step
> how to continue. Basically, I'm at point A. I want to get to point C,
> but have no clear idea where point B is. I have been using Gentoo since
> 2005, but not because it's the "expert" distribution. I use it because
> it's fairly easy to find software that works with my hardware. I
> started using Gentoo shortly after I got the PC I'm typing this message
> on. I seem to have problems all the time, and I'd very much like to
> learn how to solve them myself. I'm the type that would rather do
> without than beg for help from strangers normally, but I feel like I'm
> ALWAYS having problems with Gentoo. I need help, and not a handout. I
> need a hand-up. Can anyone recommend a (free) website or book series to
> help me reach my goal: not to be a noob anymore?

You've been using Gentoo since 2005 and consider yourself a newcomer? I'm
impressed. You already probably know more about compiling a kernel than do
many, as these days, Gentoo is about the only one that needs it. (And
Crux, I think).

Anyway, I don't think there are any be all and end all resources. There is
scripting, programming, networking, databases...each one requires a book in
itself. The old Redhat bibles by Negus were good, at least for RedHat based
systems, they would cover a bunch of things.

The FreeBSD handbook has lots of chapters about doing various system
tasks--there are differences--for example, the commands to manage users and
groups are different, but said handbook has a lot of information.

What works for one person might not work for the next, too. For example,
some people swear by the advanced bash scripting guide, whereas I found it
to have far too many large gaps.

I suppose most of us just muddle along, learning things as we do them. The
Gentoo documentation used to be very good too--but, I don't think there
are too many books that go from step A to step B, in part because people
would disagree about what step B should be.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

__._,_.___

Posted by: Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment