Friday, February 26, 2016

Re: [WAS: Re: [LINUX_Newbies] How to learn Linux]

 

On 02/26/2016 09:58 AM, HalX halinux@frontier.com [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 05:58:40PM -0600, Michael Sullivan
> msulli1355@gmail.com [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
> >
> > I've got a newer computer with Windows 8.1 in the living room that my
> > wife bought for me in 2012 so that I could play Final Fantasy XI with
> > her. It has virtualbox installed on it. I thought I'd try Slackware
> > on that. I downloaded an ISO of Slack 14.1. I got the install-dvd iso.
> > When I tried to boot it, it said that I needed an image for my kernel.
> > I ran memtest and that told me that my kernel is an AMD A6-5200 APU
> > with Radeon HD graphics. Where do I find an image with a kernel that
> > would fit that particular processor? I knew Slack was old, and in my
> > experience, old is usually better than new, but I expected the DVD image
> > to contain everything I needed to at least boot it.
> >
>
> My experience with VB is that it might throw more curves than a straight
> install.. Having some discarded free HD's it's easier, for me, to use
> multiple HD's for trials..
>
> Many times when installing Linux on a previous M$ box, you need to zero the
> drive first to be sure it's "clean," I've read and practice..
>
> Slack 14.1 is not obsolete of course and is still supported and used by
> thousands.. Downloading an .iso version, burning a DVD of that file, and
> booting/installing 14.1 has never burped in many older 32 bit machines.. I
> have it running on a RasPiB too.. In short the DVD should boot with no
> fuss..
>
> --
>
> GNU-Linux/UNIX - Slackware 14.1 JFS X86
>
>
I think the Windows box is 64-bit.

__._,_.___

Posted by: Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (17)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment