Friday, February 26, 2016

Re: [WAS: Re: [LINUX_Newbies] How to learn Linux]

 

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 05:58:40PM -0600, Michael Sullivan msulli1355@gmail.com [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
>
> I've got a newer computer with Windows 8.1 in the living room that my
> wife bought for me in 2012 so that I could play Final Fantasy XI with
> her. It has virtualbox installed on it. I thought I'd try Slackware
> on that. I downloaded an ISO of Slack 14.1. I got the install-dvd iso.
> When I tried to boot it, it said that I needed an image for my kernel.
> I ran memtest and that told me that my kernel is an AMD A6-5200 APU
> with Radeon HD graphics. Where do I find an image with a kernel that
> would fit that particular processor? I knew Slack was old, and in my
> experience, old is usually better than new, but I expected the DVD image
> to contain everything I needed to at least boot it.
>

My experience with VB is that it might throw more curves than a straight
install.. Having some discarded free HD's it's easier, for me, to use
multiple HD's for trials..

Many times when installing Linux on a previous M$ box, you need to zero the
drive first to be sure it's "clean," I've read and practice..

Slack 14.1 is not obsolete of course and is still supported and used by
thousands.. Downloading an .iso version, burning a DVD of that file, and
booting/installing 14.1 has never burped in many older 32 bit machines.. I
have it running on a RasPiB too.. In short the DVD should boot with no
fuss..

--

GNU-Linux/UNIX - Slackware 14.1 JFS X86

__._,_.___

Posted by: HalX <halinux@frontier.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (16)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment