Friday, April 22, 2016

[LINUX_Newbies] New VB Gentoo Install

 

My personal workstation is not doing well to say the least. It has
served me very well since I first acquired it in 2005 with minimal
hassles. I'm trying to rig up a Gentoo installation in a virtual box on
the Windows computer I use for gaming. I've gone through chapter 1 of
the handbook and rebooted the virtual machine. It starts up. I see the
grub menu (as expected), then I see several lines with numbers (also
expected). It never continues from that. The last line says [
4730.102476] random: nonblocking pool is initialized. My old computer
did all this and then started a list of system services. This new
install doesn't. Where does the problem lie? I manually built the
kernel based off the config provided by the livecd environment. I THINK
the kernel is being loaded. I don't have much experience manually
building kernels. I have no experience whatsoever with grub:2. I used
grub-0.97 on my old box so that I could dual-boot into Windows XP (which
I don't think I've done since 2008.) Please help!

__._,_.___

Posted by: Michael Sullivazn <msulli1355@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Upgrade your account with the latest Yahoo Mail app
Get organized with the fast and easy-to-use Yahoo Mail app. Upgrade today!

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment