Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] TEST for 64-bit

 

I agree that Gentoo is a pain to work with. As long as I don't have to
approach the Gentoo community, I usually don't mind the trouble,
provided that the system works. I opened the box that the new PC came
in yesterday. Now, a little over 24 hours later, I have a 32-bit system
installed that's equivalent to my old 32-bit system. Except of course
it runs a lot faster. I'm not concerned about compile times. At this
point, what I really want to know is are there advantages to having a
system that is compiled with 64bit code that I don't have now?
On 04/27/2016 07:05 PM, Scott scottro@nyc.rr.com [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 05:40:00PM -0600, Dan aa0qc@yahoo.com
> [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
> > Do you know that you have to extract the iso file onto the USB stick?
> The iso file itself will not boot the computer. The iso file is sort of
> like a zip file and has to be extracted. I used a app called UNetbootin;
> there are other apps to do this.
> >
>
> Is there a reason you're using Gentoo, which takes a good deal of time and
> experience and usually has out of date documentation?
> These days, most ISOs are what is called, (I think), hybrid, meaning you
> can just dd them to a USB stick.
>
> The Gentoo wiki mentions a couple of Windows programs that will do this,
>
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/LiveUSB/Guide Towards the bottom of the page,
> after giving the dd command to use dd, they say there are Windows versions
> too.
>
> However, no offense, but if you can't even get it to boot, you'd probably
> be better off with Fedora or a version of Ubuntu. Gentoo is a pain. You
> install it. You then have to compile a kernel (and THAT is where you'll
> want your 64 bit system, it's usually faster.) You have to emerge all
> programs. For example, a web browser may take over an hour to install,
> because it has to download all components, then compile them. Whereas, with
> Fedora or a version of Ubuntu, you'll have a working system up within an
> hour, barring the unforseen.
>
> I repeat, I don't mention this to criticize, but Gentoo can be a pain, and
> these days, with modern hardware, seldom provides too much advantage. It's
> a wonderful distro, and every so often at work, someone installs it and
> then I feel I have to, to show that I'm awesome too, but as you say there
> there is time pressure, I wonder if you might be better off with an easier
> to use and install distribution. In Gentoo, you're going to have to compile
> a kernel and choose the proper drivers, and if you don't, you'll boot and
> have no network.
>
> --
> Scott Robbins
> PGP keyID EB3467D6
> ( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
> gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6
>
>

__._,_.___

Posted by: Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (23)

Upgrade your account with the latest Yahoo Mail app
Get organized with the fast and easy-to-use Yahoo Mail app. Upgrade today!

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment