Friday, April 22, 2016

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] New VB Gentoo Install

On 04/22/2016 05:23 PM, Scott scottro@nyc.rr.com [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 04:59:59PM -0500, Michael Sullivazn
> msulli1355@gmail.com [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
> > My personal workstation is not doing well to say the least. It has
> > served me very well since I first acquired it in 2005 with minimal
> > hassles. I'm trying to rig up a Gentoo installation in a virtual box on
> > the Windows computer I use for gaming. I've gone through chapter 1 of
> > the handbook and rebooted the virtual machine. It starts up. I see the
> > grub menu (as expected), then I see several lines with numbers (also
> > expected). It never continues from that. The last line says [
> > 4730.102476] random: nonblocking pool is initialized. My old computer
> > did all this and then started a list of system services. This new
> > install doesn't. Where does the problem lie? I manually built the
> > kernel based off the config provided by the livecd environment. I THINK
> > the kernel is being loaded. I don't have much experience manually
> > building kernels. I have no experience whatsoever with grub:2. I used
> > grub-0.97 on my old box so that I could dual-boot into Windows XP (which
> > I don't think I've done since 2008.) Please help!
>
> Perhaps using the Gentoo generic kernel, or whatever it's called, the one
> that contains all drivers? Unfortunately, even my co-workers who love
> Gentoo admit that the documentation is almost always out of date.
> My guess is something missing in the kernel, (which is why I suggest that
> kernel they have that has all the drivers.)
>
> Sorry I can't be more help. I haven't seriously used Gentoo in years.
Thank you for trying at least.
>
> --
> Scott Robbins
> PGP keyID EB3467D6
> ( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
> gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6
>



------------------------------------

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo Groups is subject to:
https://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment