Friday, April 29, 2016

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] No sound on Gentoo

 

I'm trying to follow the ALSA guide at

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ALSA

The line that says

getfacl /dev/snd/controlC0 | grep larry

doesn't work for me:

caitlyn linux # getfacl /dev/snd/controlC0 | grep michael
getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
caitlyn linux #

and IDK how to make it work. I'm in the audio group:

caitlyn linux # grep audio /etc/group
audio:x:18:amy,michael,mythtv,vdr
caitlyn linux #

I THINk I have the correct kernel driver for my card. I'm using the
AC97 driver. Alsamixer gives some output that seems strange to me:

┌─────────────────────────────────────── AlsaMixer v1.0.29
────────────────────────────────────────┐
│ Card: HDA Intel PCH
F1: Help │
│ Chip:
F2: System information │
│ View: F3: Playback F4: Capture F5: All
F6: Select sound card │
│ Item:
Esc: Exit │














│ This sound device does not have any controls.




On 04/29/2016 01:28 PM, Chad Martin chad.e.martin@gmail.com
[LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
>
>
> All modules live in /lib/modules/<kernel version>. Also, the ALSA page
> in the Gentoo Wiki is likely helpful: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ALSA.
>
> Chad
>
> On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 9:38 AM Michael Sullivan msulli1355@gmail.com
> <mailto:msulli1355@gmail.com> [LINUX_Newbies]
> <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com <mailto:LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com>>
> wrote:
>
> OK. I'm live with my new PC. Everything works (that I can tell) except
> sound. lscpi reports that the sound card is
>
> caitlyn ~ # lspci | grep Audio
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset
> High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
>
> I managed to modprobe snd_hda_intel and added it to /etc/conf.d/modules,
> and I figured that if I could find out where snd_hda_intel lives on the
> hard drive, I could probably find some module that would make sound
> work, but I can't seem to find it.
>
>
> ------------------------------------
> Posted by: Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@gmail.com
> <mailto:msulli1355@gmail.com>>
> ------------------------------------
>
> To unsubscribe from this list, please email
> LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
> <mailto:LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com> & you will be
> removed.
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo Groups Links
>
>
> LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
> <mailto:LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com>
>
>
>

__._,_.___

Posted by: Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)

Upgrade your account with the latest Yahoo Mail app
Get organized with the fast and easy-to-use Yahoo Mail app. Upgrade today!

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment