Sunday, March 5, 2017

[LINUX_Newbies] Web and FTP with Linux

 

I had an IP that gave 100 megabyte free space to customers. I used it
for my web site. I also used it to upload files/images so that I could
point a link to them in an email message instead of attaching them to
the email message. The IP was bought out by another company and it no
longer allows this. I do not trust internet sites for web sites and
files, especially Google, and want to keep things under my control.
Linus has been suggested that it could do what I want.

This post is just some basic questions of whether Linux will do what I
want. The way my web site and files worked before is that I just
uploaded everything for a web site to the 100 M space and anyone with an
internet browser, such as Firefox, could get to my web site by just
entering the url in the search line of their web browser. The url for my
web site was
http://users.commspeed.net/stanlep/homepagens.html
They did not have to give any other information, such as an email
address or password.

If I wanted someone to see a document (like a pdf) or an image, instead
of attaching it to an email message I would just upload it to the 100M
space and give a link to it in the email message such as
http://users.commspeed.net/stanlep/Prominence-small.jpg
They did not have to give any other information, such as an email
address or password.

My questions are:
1. Would my own server based on Linux operate the same way as it did
with my original IP with regard to a web site? In other words, could
they just enter something like http://stan.web/homepagens.html (a made
up url just as an example) in the search line of their browser to view
my website without having to enter any other information like an email
address or password (even if it is nothing more than 'anonymous').?
2. Would my own server using Linux operate the same way as it did with
my original IP with regard to files? In other words, could they just
click on a link, such as http://stan.web/stanlep/Prominence-small.jpg,
in an email message I send them to view an image (or file) without
having to enter any other information such as as an email address or
password (even if it is nothing more than 'anonymous')?
3. I found a used copy of "Red Hat Linux 7" that also has the
installation discs for Linux ver 7. If the answers to the first question
'yes', is chapter 21, "Setting up a Web Server", the chapter to study to
set up my own personal web server for my website as described above?
4. If the answer to the second question is 'yes' is chapter 20, "Setting
up an FTP Server", the chapter to study to be able to share files and
images through email messages as I described above?

Stan

__._,_.___

Posted by: Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@commspeed.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment