Friday, March 24, 2017

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Correct file path in a browser

 

Scott, and Everyone,
Sorry for top posting. I actually thought it was better than inline. I
will do inline from now on. Also, I will keep the posts shorter. For
example, I should have just asked how to configure the Shorewall 'rules'
file to accept HTTP instead of going through all the things I tried. I
thought stating all the things I tried would help resolve the problem I
am having, but I can see where it would be time consuming and annoying
to wade through all this stuff. It would be for me, but I assumed it was
just me because I am not that gifted when I compare myself to the very
gifted individuals I worked with before I retired.

I guess I will have to spend more time searching on the internet to
resolve the problem I am having. I thought it should be something simple
to resolve in a discussion group, but it is not so.
Stan

On 3/24/2017 9:24 AM, Scott scottro@nyc.rr.com [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
>
> On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 12:11:34PM -0400, Scott scottro@nyc.rr.com
> [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
> >
> > I know nothing about shorewall.
> >
> > I don't bother scrolling down to see what is being discussed.
>
> I should add that this wasn't meant to sound as nasty as it does when
> re-read.
>
> In this particular case, I can't really help, as I don't know shorewall.
>
> My other point though, is that on most more technical lists when
> discussions get involved, the people most likely to be able to help are
> usually pretty busy, and the idea is to be considerate of their time. The
> easiest way for someone to review what's being discussed is to see an
> inline conversation, as it takes place, so that they don't have to scroll
> down through pages to see what is being talked about.
>
> The (VERY outdated) list FAQ does mention this in its netiquette section,
> one of the few sections that is still relevant.
>
> http://srobb.net/linfaq.html
>
> Note that I am stating my own preferences, and I'm not going to get
> involved in any discussions about whether top posting is better, I'm just
> saying that if anyone thinks my experience or knowledge is useful in
> something, which it may be, on occasion, I'm more likely to use my
> somewhat
> sparse free time if it's easy for me. Top posting makes it harder for me.
>
> --
> Scott Robbins
> PGP keyID EB3467D6
> ( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
> gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6
>
>

__._,_.___

Posted by: Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@commspeed.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (9)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment