Thursday, March 23, 2017

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Correct file path in a browser

 

Scott,
I gave the line command
192.168.11.4 80
and got the expected message that said "Connected to Local Host".

The following is with respect to not being able to bring up the
CometFront.jpg image (that I copied to the var/www subdirectory using
WinSCP) in my web browser (Seamonkey and Firefox). You said "You can
look at httpd.conf and search for DocumentRoot in the file, which
will tell you where Apache expects to find things." There is no
httpd.conf file in the etc/apache2 subdirectory and so I used nano to
add a line to apache2.conf that said:
DocumentRoot "/var/www"
but it had no effect.

I edited the Shorewall "rules" in the directory
usr/share/doc/shorewall/examples/Universal.
I added a line that said
HTTP(ACCEPT) net $FS 80 80
I tabbed over so the 80's were under the correct columns. This also had
no effect. Before I added the two 80's I tried entering a line before
the HTTP line that said
accept net 80
but this had no effect and so I deleted that line and added the two 80's
to the HTTP line.
I also tried adding the following two lines:
ACCEPT 80
HTTP(ACCEPT)
to "rules" in the etc/shorewall subdirectory but that did not work either.
In looking at the various files with nano, I noticed in the "shorewall"
file in the etc/default subdirectory that maybe I need to add a
"wait-interface" line. Do I?

I think Apache does start up when I boot up the machine. I think this
because I made a change to the ServerRoot line in the apache2.conf file
from "/etc/apache2" to "/var/www". After I made this change when I
booted up the machine and it was in the process of loading everything I
noticed one line (I noticed it because the word indicating a failure to
load was in red) that said Apache failed to load. I reverted back to
"etc/apache2".

I discovered why my laptop yesterday failed to connect to the server. It
is because I made a change in the Shorewall "rules" that apparently was
not correct. I am using a very old description from the internet on how
to configure everything in ubuntu. This guide said to go into the
"shorewall" file in the etc/default subdirectory and change "startup=0"
to "startup=1". When I changed it back to "startup=0" then everything
worked as it had been. In other words, when I entered 192.168.11.4 in my
web browser (Firefox and SeaMonkey) I got a message back that said "It
Works" and WinSPC was able to make contact with the server. However, I
still cannot bring up the CometFront.jpg image stored in var/www with my
web browser.

To answer your question "Is the 192.168.11.4 a static address?"
This is the IP I get when I enter the Ubuntu command "ifconfig | grep
inet". It does not change when I reboot the machine, although the first
time I entered this command, days ago, I got 192.168.11.3. It changed to
11.4 from 11.3 and has stayed at 11.4 since then. I did get a static IP
address from my internet provider, but have not yet gotten to the point
of using it to make the server accessible to the public.
Stan

On 3/23/2017 3:11 AM, Scott scottro@nyc.rr.com [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
>
> On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 11:35:21PM -0700, Stan Gorodenski
> stanlep@commspeed.net [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
>
> > Apache2 is working because when I enter http://www.192.168.11.4 in
> > SeaMonkey or Firefox (from my Windows 7 laptop) I get a message that
> > says "It Works" followed by more information, one of which says that if
> > I got this message that means Apache2 is operating correctly.
>
> So far, so good.
>
> >
> > I downloaded WinSCP to my Windows 7 laptop and was able to copy a file
> > to the var/www directory in Ubuntu. Since I was able to make contact
> > with my Linux machine (technically, is it correct to say I am making
> > contact with Apache2?)
>
> No. Apache listens on port 80 by default, SSH listens on port 22.
> >From the command prompt, you can do telnet 192.168.11.4 80 and see if you
> get a response.
>
> You should get something like
>
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> (Then if you hit the control key and the right bracket key--the ^
> means the
> ctl key in this case--you get something like telnet > and can type quit to
> get out of it.)
>
> I should be able to read this file with my
> > laptop. I tried various combinations of things which I won't go into
> > detail here, but it seems the correct file path in SeaMonkey (or
> > FireFox) should be
> > http://192.168.11.4/[my username]/var/www/CometFront.jpg
> > It did not work, even when I left out my user name. Is this the correct
> > file path?
>
> If you put the file in the default place, which varies between
> distributions, you probably shouldn't need the username.
>
> You can look at httpd.conf and search for DocumentRoot in the file, which
> will tell you where Apache expects to find things.
>
> >
> > Also, I may have a problem with the installation. I turned the machine
> > off and then later turned it on again to make sure I had entered
> > everything correctly. Now, my web browser cannot even find
> > http://www.192.168.11.4 and when I launched WinSCP it could not make a
> > connection and it said the host does not exist. I think what
> happened is
> > that when I changed all the settings to get to the point of being able
> > to write a file to var/www, I had made an incorrect change and it did
> > not show up until I rebooted the machine. Is this what happened?
>
> It's quite possible. Is the 192.168.11.4 a static address? Could it be a
> firewall? Does Apache run on start up? (On most modern systems this is
> done with systemd.)
>
> --
> Scott Robbins
> PGP keyID EB3467D6
> ( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
> gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6
>
>

__._,_.___

Posted by: Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@commspeed.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment