Friday, March 10, 2017

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Ubuntu

 

Scott,
This machine is really strange. I went into the bios and could not find
an EFR, MBR, or Legacy setting. I remember something like this having to
be changed with my Lenovo laptop about 4 years ago that has a Win 8
motherboard on it. It had to be partitioned to run Win 7 Professional 64
bit. If I recall correctly, a change like this had to be made in the
Bios. The machine that has Ubuntu installed on it is a tower case
desktop that was put together by Motherboards and UPgrades in 2004 and
so it has an old Bios. I could not find any of the setting you mentioned
(the EFR, MBR, and Legacy). Maybe MotherBoards and Upgrades more
carefully tailored a Bios for the machine that did not have this setting.

However, here is the weird part. I got out of the Bios without saving
anything and let it proceed to boot up. This time Ubuntu loaded with a
lot of lines of information streaming across the screen. It eventually
asked for a login and so I entered the username for the
non-administrative account I had created during the installation and the
password for that account. I think it took it, but am not sure. I will
be gone for a couple days and will not be able to do anything more on it
till then. Why Ubuntu booted up today but would not yesterday is a
mystery to me. Yesterday I had turned the machine off a number of times
to re-boot, but did not turn off the line conditioner. I always turn off
the line conditioner every night and when I do this there is no power at
all that can get to a pc. Did completely turning off the power cause the
machine to clear itself of everything that made it possible for Ubuntu
to boot up? This does not seem possible on an old machine like this.
When it did boot up it stalled at a boot screen where I had to hit F1 to
continue and so there is still some kind of problem. I will investigate
this when I get back in about 3 days.

Thanks for your help.
Stan

On 3/10/2017 5:46 AM, Scott scottro@nyc.rr.com [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
>
> On Thu, Mar 09, 2017 at 10:17:29PM -0700, Stan Gorodenski
> stanlep@commspeed.net [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
> > I installed Ubuntu but I cannot boot the hard drive. It appeared to
> > install successfully without any error, but when I removed the
> > installation disk so it can self boot, I got the error message: "Disk
> > Error Press any Key to Restart". I tried turning off the machine a
> > number of times and tried reinstalling a number of times. It appears
> the
> > hard drive was not successfully made bootable by having it install
> Grub.
> > I chose the option, which was the default, to install Grub to the
> master
> > record of the first hard drive. I only have one hard drive. I did not
> > get any errors during the installation. Does anyone have any ideas what
> > the problem could be?
>
> Does the server use secure boot? If you're not running Windows on it, you
> should be able to disable that. If you're just going to be running Ubuntu,
> you can also change from EFI to legacy (sometimes called MBR) in the
> BIOS.
> The name and method to do this depends upon the laptop. From your
> description, as you deduce, Grub doesn't seem to have installed
> successfully.
>
> --
> Scott Robbins
> PGP keyID EB3467D6
> ( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
> gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6
>
>

__._,_.___

Posted by: Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@commspeed.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (27)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment