Friday, March 24, 2017

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Correct file path in a browser

 

Thanks, Scott. Centos was suggested by one person I know, but I went
with Ubuntu. Maybe Centos would have been better, but now that I am in
Ubuntu I'll stick with it unless I cannot resolve the problem I am having.
Stan

On 3/24/2017 9:58 AM, Scott scottro@nyc.rr.com [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
>
> On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 09:44:57AM -0700, Stan Gorodenski
> stanlep@commspeed.net [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
> > Scott, and Everyone,
> > Sorry for top posting. I actually thought it was better than inline. I
> > will do inline from now on. Also, I will keep the posts shorter.
>
> If it's inline, it doesn't matter too much about length. (Though trimming
> is also good).
>
> For
> > example, I should have just asked how to configure the Shorewall
> 'rules'
> > file to accept HTTP instead of going through all the things I tried.
>
> No, it IS better to state what you've tried. (There's a great article How
> to ask questions the smart way--while written a long time ago, and really
> aimed at more technical, developer type mailing lists, it's still good
> advice.
>
> http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
> I
> > thought stating all the things I tried would help resolve the problem I
> > am having, but I can see where it would be time consuming and annoying
> > to wade through all this stuff. It would be for me, but I assumed it
> was
> > just me because I am not that gifted when I compare myself to the very
> > gifted individuals I worked with before I retired.
>
> Again, it IS better to state what you've tried. Suppose you did X and I
> see the problem, and say, Oh, do X.
> Then, it's another two emails for you to say, I already did X, and I
> answer
> saying, Oops, sorry.
>
> >
> > I guess I will have to spend more time searching on the internet to
> > resolve the problem I am having. I thought it should be something
> simple
> > to resolve in a discussion group, but it is not so.
> > Stan
>
> After all, this is a newbies list. It might be best finding a shorewall
> list or forum. (Or a forum for whichever Linux you're using.)
>
> Generally, if you're running a website, you want to allow 80 and 443, for
> http and https.
>
> I use CentOS or FreeBSD. CentOS uses firewalld these days, but I'm not
> familiar with it so I just have something like (on a home network)
>
> -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -d 192.168.1.115/32 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 -j
> ACCEPT
>
> which accepts connections on 192.168.1.115 (a local address on my LAN) to
> port 80. On FreeBSD, I'd probably use PF, which has different syntax and
> isn't relevant here.
>
> >
>
> --
> Scott Robbins
> PGP keyID EB3467D6
> ( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
> gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6
>
>

__._,_.___

Posted by: Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@commspeed.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (13)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment