Friday, March 24, 2017

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Correct file path in a browser

 

On 03/24/2017 12:07 PM, Stan Gorodenski stanlep@commspeed.net
[LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
> Michael,
> Yes, I reboot each time I make a change. Also, since I am in the
> learning stage, I should have used a simple password since it keeps
> asking for it almost anytime a sudo command is entered. It is getting
> old entering this longer more secure password each time. Thanks for the
> note on the doc files. At least I know now what I do there won't have
> any impact on resolving problems I am having. Part of my problem is that
> I do not know what all these specifications mean and so I try variations
> of things, such as reversing the order of 'net' and '$FW"'.
>
> I'll be dropping this for awhile since it is getting tiring working on
> it and I have to be away for some days, maybe close to a week.
> Stan

I've also been known for Top Posting. I've been yelled at far more
times than I can count. I don't know why I still do it, but I do still
do it sometimes.

I too learned Linux from older docs on the internet. Like Scott, I have
never heard of shorewall. I use XFCE as my desktop environment, and I
always have an xfce-terminal open, with five tabs open on it. The
leftmost tab is always signed into the root account (su -). I do a lot
of stuff with root. When I first started using Linux, the entire Linux
world couldn't wait to tell me how dangerous this was, and that I
shouldn't do it. I ignored them, and with the exception of one or two
screw-ups in the 17 years I've been using Linux, it hasn't been a
problem. The other four tabs are signed as my normal unprivileged user,
and I use them unless what I'm trying to do isn't allowed for a
non-privileged user. You might consider this, as it makes life a LOT
easier, at least for me. Another alternative is to log into the root
account and work on apache2, or any other systems you're currently
tailoring until you get them working the way you want them. What distro
are you using? I don't know if you've said that or not already. You
might go search how to manually restart a process. I'm on Slackware,
and there's some processes that I don't know how to manually restart,
but they hardly ever mess up, and when they do, a reboot usually fixes
them. Reboots are the scariest thing I do in Linux.

__._,_.___

Posted by: Michael <msulli1355@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (14)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment