Thursday, March 9, 2017

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Ubuntu

 

I installed Ubuntu but I cannot boot the hard drive. It appeared to
install successfully without any error, but when I removed the
installation disk so it can self boot, I got the error message: "Disk
Error Press any Key to Restart". I tried turning off the machine a
number of times and tried reinstalling a number of times. It appears the
hard drive was not successfully made bootable by having it install Grub.
I chose the option, which was the default, to install Grub to the master
record of the first hard drive. I only have one hard drive. I did not
get any errors during the installation. Does anyone have any ideas what
the problem could be?
Stan

On 3/9/2017 2:30 PM, Stan Gorodenski stanlep@commspeed.net
[LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
> I burned the setup file to a cd on the 2004 vintage machine. The setup
> started working, but now I do not know why. I tried to keep track of
> which disc was which (the 2004 vintage burned disk or the other one) but
> I may have got them mixed up because it is working on the original
> burned disc, if I didn't mix them up. This wouldn't make sense because I
> have tried numerous times to install it on this disc. I could go back
> and put in the other one to see if it also works, but why bother. It is
> working now. I had to terminate the install because it is going to
> detect the IP address, but I do not have the static IP yet. I will be
> getting that next Tuesday.
> Stan
>
> On 3/9/2017 12:33 PM, Stan Gorodenski stanlep@commspeed.net
> [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
>
>> Okay. I'll try burning it to a cd on my 2004 vintage machine. Maybe that
>> is the problem. I had used the new tower case desk top, less than 2 year
>> old, to burn it since I downloaded Ubuntu with it, but it has a DVD
>> drive. It was my understanding it is supposed to function both as a CD
>> and DVD burner, but maybe it does not work quite like it should for CD's.
>> Stan
>>
>>
>> On 3/9/2017 12:05 PM, 'T. Hunt' roversouth@bellsouth.net [LINUX_Newbies]
>> wrote:
>>
>>
>>> It will reformat if you chose that option. If it froze at the language
>>> screen, you didn't get that far yet.
>>>
>>> Tom
>>>
>>> On 3/9/2017 11:34 AM, Stan Gorodenski stanlep@commspeed.net
>>> [LINUX_Newbies] wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>> I had a previous post about a web server and Linux. I decided to learn
>>>> about installing Linux and creating a web server using my 2004 vintage
>>>> Pentium 4 desktop. Once I understand everything and get it to work, if I
>>>> then think I need a new computer, then I can get it.
>>>>
>>>> I could not use ver 16 of Ubuntu because it is 800M in size and my blank
>>>> cd disk can only handle up to 700M. The desktop does not have a dvd
>>>> drive, only a cd drive. So, I downloaded ver 14 which is less than 600M.
>>>> I tried installing it last night and it got hung up on the first page,
>>>> the language page. The Enter key does not work, the arrow keys do not
>>>> work, and the mouse is not active. I left it this way overnight and it
>>>> still was hung up and so Ubuntu was not in the process of doing
>>>> something. It is just hung up for some other reason. The hard drive is
>>>> 30G and has Windows XP on it. All the programs on it use up almost all
>>>> this space. Does Ubuntu require a reformatted drive to install to? I
>>>> thought it would reformat the disc itself.
>>>> Stan
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>

__._,_.___

Posted by: Stan Gorodenski <stanlep@commspeed.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (24)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment