Monday, April 16, 2012

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Changing PATH environment after manual TexLive 2011 installation on Debian

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <pfrederick1@...> wrote:
>
>
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Pascal" <pascal.hasko@> wrote:
> >
> > Yes I have. Indeed I updated my TexLive to the Debian unstable version, but still crucial packages are missing. It also lacks TexLive package manager "tlmgr" for updating which is the recommended way instead of using apt-get or aptitude. As my favorite tex editor 'Kile' would be removed by uninstalling the official TexLive, I'd prefer to have both installations and have Debian ignore its own packages.
> >
>
> It sounds to me like you'd be happier with another distribution. Now might possibly be a good time to either switch, or learn how to better control Debian's package management system. There are other alternatives you have yet to explore.
>
> http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/debianproblem.htm
>
> Some of this, sections 8-12, read correctly, applies to you as well:
> http://wooledge.org/~greg/sidfaq.html
>
> I'm not going to tell you what you should do regarding your TeX dilemma, or even suggest it, but I do recommend you completely familiarize yourself with all pertinent information before you go ignoring everything, and carving out your own path.
>
> The more you know, the more you Debianize.
>
> P.S. Debian isn't your problem, TeX is.
>

Finally, I got the issue fixed. I created a .bash_profile in my HOME-directory with the necessary lines for modifying the PATH environment and had it sourced by /etc/profile. Now everything works fine, for the time being.

I'd like to disagree with you. I do think that it is a Debian issue also, not only Tex's fault. TexLive packages provided by Debian are missing certain stuff and in this case I need that. Otherwise I don't have a problem with Debian's tex. Even the version 2011 from Debian unstable is not complete. I'd say I could tinker around with Debian's package management as much as I want, if it is not in the repositories what I want I won't get it that way. That's why I had to install TexLive 2011 manually.

Pascal

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment