Monday, April 2, 2012

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: suse 11.3 issues

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:
>
> I don't think that Arch is based on Slack. It is a great distro, but it was
> built from scratch and was influenced by Crux and Gentoo. This is not a
> knock against Slackware which is also a great choice. Pacman was developed
> by founder Judd Vinet in 2002 and is still used today.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Slackware_family_tree_11-06.png
>
> If you do not mind working from the commandline and want a great minimalist
> distro that is a rolling release then Arch would be my choice, If you want
> more GUI control then I would look at Gentoo-based Sabayon, but it is
> anything but minimalist.
>
> Roy

Apparently not derivative but Arch was "Inspired by"

From:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/History_of_Arch_Linux

"Judd Vinet, a Canadian programmer and occasional guitarist, began developing Arch Linux in early 2001. Its first formal release, Arch Linux 0.1, was on March 11, 2002. Inspired by the elegant simplicity of Slackware, Polish Linux Distribution, and CRUX, and yet disappointed with the lack of package management; Vinet built his own distribution on similar principles as those distros. But, he also wrote a package management program called pacman, to automatically handle package installation, removal, and upgrades."

I ordered the PSU I need for my dollar PC, but I opted for free shipping, so I've some time before I decide anything. Most likely I'll try several distros out before I settle.

What else are junk PCs for? To make it more fun I just ordered a video card for it too. The on board stuff is shot, likely just a broken solder joint on the connector but GMA 3100 ain't my idea of worth fixing. I have an ATI card in it now, but I've had issues getting that card accelerated in Linux.

Once I get it all sorted out it should be an OK machine.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment