Sunday, April 1, 2012

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] suse 11.3 issues

On Apr 1, 2012 1:52 AM, "Tony" <therrera1550@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Hello list members,
>
> To get to the point, my workstation's hard drive went down and I am using
the SUSE 11.3 station to do my work. Since all data is synched on it, I am
using it for everyday work.
>
> The problem is that I need to download software to get it to duplicate
the functionality of my Windows applications. However when I try to install
them by running the rpm packages (such as AVG for Linux for example or
flash player), I get error messages that needed libraries cannot be
accessed and the install fails.
>
> I think this is due to the fact that 11.3 may no longer be supported and
that the download locations no longer contain current code that can be
downloaded. Is this the case?

Do you have your original install DVD? There is a lot of software on
that. Also, it looks like the repository may be available here...

< http://software.opensuse.org/113/en>

There is a link under the "network" section. I am not able to access it
on mobile though to inspect. Best of luck.
>
> Does SUSE require that I upgrade and abandon the previous version? Is the
solution to the problem to upgrade to the latest version? I downloaded the
ISO image of 12.1 but haven't yet burned it to dvd.
>

I would not recommend you try an upgrade. Even if version upgrades are
possible on a out of date system, it does not men they are going to "go
well"...

> By running this version will it simply upgrade my current version or will
I have to do a fresh install? Will I then be able to install other software
that I need for every day work?

Back up everything and do a fresh install... You can then install whatever
software is available.

>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tony
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment