Sunday, April 1, 2012

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: suse 11.3 issues

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" <therrera1550@...> wrote:
>
> Hello list members,
>
> I setup an suse 11.3 box on my home/work network several years ago to both familiarize myself somewhat with linux and to have a synchronization point for my work stations. The SUSE box is essentially a storage server and has copies of my workstations data using a windows open source sych software.
>
> To get to the point, my workstation's hard drive went down and I am using the SUSE 11.3 station to do my work. Since all data is synched on it, I am using it for everyday work.
>
> The problem is that I need to download software to get it to duplicate the functionality of my Windows applications. However when I try to install them by running the rpm packages (such as AVG for Linux for example or flash player), I get error messages that needed libraries cannot be accessed and the install fails.
>
> I think this is due to the fact that 11.3 may no longer be supported and that the download locations no longer contain current code that can be downloaded. Is this the case?
>
> Does SUSE require that I upgrade and abandon the previous version? Is the solution to the problem to upgrade to the latest version? I downloaded the ISO image of 12.1 but haven't yet burned it to dvd.
>
> By running this version will it simply upgrade my current version or will I have to do a fresh install? Will I then be able to install other software that I need for every day work?
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tony
>

I used SuSE for a long time. When the machine I ran it on finally died I had problems updating, or upgrading it. But I don't blame SUSE because I just let my system get too out of date. It'd have never been an issue either except the hardware I ran it on did eventually die. That box had a motherboard failure, all of the caps on it went.

The funny part is I didn't want to update, or upgrade until I'd moved that OS out of that dead box into another one I'd built, and still ran the same OS that was on it. It did run too, but it just didn't run too swiftly. Well, it didn't run all that bad, but it had little issues I wanted to address. It was so out of date by then I'd have had to do everything by hand, it just wouldn't have been worth it for me to do.

SuSE was real good to me but because of issues I ran into updating, and upgrading I did part ways with them. Stuff I'm not blaming them for mind you, but what is is and I don't keep on other people's schedules well.

I'm also not so big on change for change sake, but that is a rant for another time ... it isn't directly related to any of this, but this has made me think of that.

I'm still looking for a distro that operates on the theory of, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment