Saturday, March 31, 2012

[LINUX_Newbies] suse 11.3 issues

 

Hello list members,

I setup an suse 11.3 box on my home/work network several years ago to both familiarize myself somewhat with linux and to have a synchronization point for my work stations. The SUSE box is essentially a storage server and has copies of my workstations data using a windows open source sych software.

To get to the point, my workstation's hard drive went down and I am using the SUSE 11.3 station to do my work. Since all data is synched on it, I am using it for everyday work.

The problem is that I need to download software to get it to duplicate the functionality of my Windows applications. However when I try to install them by running the rpm packages (such as AVG for Linux for example or flash player), I get error messages that needed libraries cannot be accessed and the install fails.

I think this is due to the fact that 11.3 may no longer be supported and that the download locations no longer contain current code that can be downloaded. Is this the case?

Does SUSE require that I upgrade and abandon the previous version? Is the solution to the problem to upgrade to the latest version? I downloaded the ISO image of 12.1 but haven't yet burned it to dvd.

By running this version will it simply upgrade my current version or will I have to do a fresh install? Will I then be able to install other software that I need for every day work?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment