Sunday, March 18, 2012

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Mint is great!

 

On 3/17/2012 9:55 PM, iloveubuntulinux wrote:

> I haven't used OpenBSD yet but I have tried various Linux distros and
> those with desktops work fine. I know the command line as well but I
> prefer the desktop for simple user stuff and the command line for
> serious work BTW if you do C++ coding, do you use SlickEdit or what
> do you use?
>

I use OpenBSD primarily for server application.

In its 'default install' state, virtually all services are set to 'off'.
The user has to configure everything, and start those services/daemons
that the user actually wants to run.

OpenBSD does NOT automatically find and connect to an available ethernet
connection... you have to configure that yourself, and it took me a
while googling and experimenting, to get it to work.

Also, OpenBSD has the PF packet filter as part of its default install. I
have a nice, tight ruleset in play on my servers, and feel that running
PF should be a MUST, if you are deploying a server with open ports, with
daemons running. With PF, one can set extremely fine grained access, to
the various services running, right on down to individual users, and
which applications they are permitted to run.

Fortunately, OBSD has very well written man pages and documentation, and
a good, solid, tight community with a lot of dedicated developers.

In my experience, OBSD is not suitable for a non-techie audience. Ask
interesting questions that demonstrate intelligence, and you will
receive good, informative replies.

Ask questions that suggest you have not already done your homework, and
all you will get is RTFM.

For writing C code, I just open a few terminal sessions, so that I can
write in one terminal, compile in another, and walk through debug in a
third terminal.

The only experience I ever had with SlickEdit was many years ago, in DOS
and early versions of Windows.

Currently I am writing some Win32 C code in CygWin, which is really
nice, and up-to-date. I do have several older versions of the Microsoft
C/C++ compilers and IDE's. These come in handy for modifying really old
C code, written in those compilers, that might need upgrading, or bug-fix.

I do have a complete set of config files for OBSD, which can be modified
to suit various user requirements. It's a nice jumping off point, but in
my opinion, an OBSD user is best advised to write their own config
files, and to comment them heavily, in order to actually know what is
going on, where the code meets the road.

--
http://www.robertwittig.com/
http://robertwittig.net/
http://robertwittig.org/
.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment