Friday, March 9, 2012

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: LTS isn't LT enough for me these days

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "G.LinuxDucks" <g.linuxducks@...> wrote:
>
> <<<10.04 is the LTS version right? >>>
> Yes it is. The next Ubuntu LTS (Long Term Suport) is 12.04 due April, I
> believe. It will be supported for five years this time is reported.

If Ubuntu is even around 5 years from now. The history of Linux is full of here today gone tomorrow distribution stories. After what I just saw happen to Kubuntu I'd have to say the fate of Ubuntu as a whole is even more precarious than that of some other amateur maintained distributions.

It's a jungle, not always a kind one either. There is an excellent chance I'll still be running Linux 5 years from now, what distribution though I've honestly no idea. I'm souring somewhat of what I am running today in fact. I think I want to get back to a simpler setup that allows me finer grained control than deb based systems seem to provide easily.

I am finding my setups are much more static today than they were in the past so maybe package management isn't nearly as important for me as it used to be? If this is the case it would be a paradigm shift from my earlier philosophy that would greatly impact my distribution choice.

I have to be honest lately I've been finding updates more annoying than anything else. New useful software isn't even coming out at a pace that makes complicated package management worthwhile for me to deal with either. What I'm saying is once I've a system laid up how I like it I prefer it to stay as is.

Really, if I wanted to be forced to change my OS every 5 years I'd run Windows :)

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment