Saturday, March 24, 2012

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Newcomer: Phooey - no GUI: Installled ubunto 8.04 on a 256Meg P3 machine

 

Thanks for your input. I will try this if all else fails. I have Unbuntu 10 and 11 successfully installed on slightly more modern machines (P4).

Ubuntu is the choice for a cad package. The veterans' group I belong to is using a cad package and building numeric control machines to help returning vets here in Spokane. I am trying to avoid the problem of spreading out to mulltiple versions of Linux. We get occasional donations of old computers. So far i have tried:
1 Fedora.
2 Slacko Puppy
3 Unbuntu (various versions).

I have the option of falling back to version 7 ubuntu - which installed sucessrully, but was difficult to update to its full potental.

Thanks again.

Justin

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "g.linuxducks" <g.linuxducks@...> wrote:
>
> Bookmark:
>
> Bodhi Linux Is Beautiful & Works On Very Old Computers [Linux]
> Try a lightweight, beautiful Linux distro that works on very old hardware.
> Bodhi Linux can run on processors with only 300 MHz so imagine how well
> it will ...
> http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/bodhi-linux-beautiful-works-computers-linux/
>
>
> On 03/23/2012 12:54 PM, justin_e_bell2000 wrote:
> > After a non-eventful install of 8.04 I boot up to a blank screen.
> >
> >
> > Machine
> > No-name
> > P3 processor
> > 256 megs ram
> > 15 gig c drive
> > 15 gig d drive
> >
> >
> > History.
> > I installed Ubuntu 7 successfully - but found it difficult to upgrade. Version 7 is no longer supported- so I decided to bypass the problems and install version 8. Normal install requires 384 megs of ram.
> >
> > Because of my 256 meg limitation - I used the alternate version CD install - which will work with the smaller memory. All seemed to go well - but after rebooting - I just get a blank screen - the mouse and keyboard are unresponsive.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> >
> >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment