Sunday, March 25, 2012

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Newcomer: Phooey - no GUI: Installled ubunto 8.04 on a 256Meg P3 machine

You are over-thinking this statement. It does not have to mean Ubuntu
*developed*, but could also mean *included* with Ubuntu. That would include
apt-get, etc. I also think that you are under-estimating Software Centre
which handles the chores or Synaptic and gdebi as well as pushing content.
It sounds like you have an axe to grind.

Roy

Using Kubuntu 11.10, 64-bit
Location: Canada


On 25 March 2012 08:09, Paul <pfrederick1@yahoo.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
>
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "g.linuxducks" <g.linuxducks@...>
> wrote:
> >
> > Bookmark:
> >
> > Bodhi Linux Is Beautiful & Works On Very Old Computers [Linux]
> > Try a lightweight, beautiful Linux distro that works on very old
> hardware.
> > Bodhi Linux can run on processors with only 300 MHz so imagine how well
> > it will ...
> >
> http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/bodhi-linux-beautiful-works-computers-linux/
>
> I read that article and I am wondering what the author of it meant by this
> line, "Don't worry, all the standard Ubuntu package management tools are
> here for you to use."
>
> The only software that could even remotely be called a package management
> tool that Canonical has written that I've heard of is the Ubuntu Software
> Center, and it is more a content pushing mechanism than a utility to me.
>
> Now back to the whole which distribution works the best on a low resource
> system theme. I run Debian Lenny on my P3 here. A while back when the RAM
> module in it went bad I managed to get into X Window on the 22 MB of
> remaining good RAM that system had. Something I didn't even think was
> possible today, but just the desktop ran fine. I did experience some
> sluggishness when I tried to start a web browser, Iceweasel (Debian's
> FireFox). It wasn't until then that I even knew there was anything wrong
> with that computer.
>
> That system is pretty customized and built for a specific purpose. So just
> slapping Lenny on a machine no one is going to get quite the performance I
> experienced. It still happened though:
>
> http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/2250/wedoct27bootchart.png
>
> Sorry, no screenshot of X with 22 MB of RAM but it did happen. At that
> time I had other concerns, like fixing it! I wish I had took one now though.
>
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment