Sunday, March 18, 2012

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: File /etc/profile ignored by Bash

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Pascal" <pascal.hasko@...> wrote:
>
> I have set up a couple aliases and functions for Bash in the following files /home/MYNAME/.bashrc ; /home/MYNAME/.bash_aliases as well as in /root/.bashrc and /etc/profile
>
> If understand Bash correctly /etc/profile should set aliases globally for all users, ROOT included (I'm on Debian Testing). Well, none of the configuration files mentioned above is sourced at startup, so I have to do it manually. In /etc/bash.bashrc Bash is told to source /etc/profile and /root/.bashrc if present via the 'default' if-statements:
> "if..... then do..."
>
> What am I doing wrong here?
> Thanks for your help.
> Pascal
>

have you logged your user out, then back in again? I set aliases in ~/.bashrc and it always works for me. You can type alias at a prompt and see what all of your aliases are. env shows you the rest of your user environment.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment