Friday, March 16, 2012

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] ubuntu...

 

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 9:55 AM, iloveubuntulinux
<valchaulinux@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> Ubuntu 10.04 has been a very stable release for me and I am disappointed in Canonical
> for releasing their new Unity desktop prior to it being really stable...I await their April
> release this year, hoping they have stabilized their changes. I have used Ubuntu since
> 2006 and only avoided using it during 2011 and this part of 2012. But 10.04 is still very good.

Did you actually stop using Ubuntu during this time? Or do you just
mean you stopped the distribution upgrades? 10.04, as 12.04, are long
term support, meaning there is no reason not to continue using the
desktop as security stays current (though 2015 at the moment).

>
> Note that the 12.04 release (which some of my Linux students are trying out) uses GRUB 2 and that sometimes this GRUB 2 has a problem identifying other Linux distros present if those use GRUB legacy version.
>

Not sure I follow unless you are chainloading a separate grub for each
OS on the HD. If you are using Grub 2, this is not a bad idea, as
Kernel updates are ignored if 'update-grub' is not run from the
partition where it's bits and pieces sit (or so I've been told). I
prefer to just install the old Grub though and not bother with Grub2.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment