Wednesday, March 21, 2012

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: File /etc/profile ignored by Bash

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Pascal Bernhard <pascal.hasko@...> wrote:
>
> I use a 'normal shell' and a 'root shell' at the same time, that's why I want to configure settings for root. By 'shell' I mean terminal emulators, a yellow background for the normal user, a blue one for root as a reminder as to when I might break things on the command line. I find this preferable to using 'sudo'.
> Symlinking the .bashrc files under /root and the HOME-directory seems not such a good idea to me. So someone advised me to put aliases, functions, color settings and so on in /etc/profile. Thus they would be to all users.
>
> Feel free to criticize my reasoning,
>
> Pascal

It is your system, so you should be able to do whatever you like with it. What you are doing now is one way to learn about your system. So have fun! The more you break the more you'll explore.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment