Monday, March 19, 2012

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: ubuntu...

 

I stayed with 10.04 myself and used that distro to teach Linux as well

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, c beck <usabecker@...> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 9:55 AM, iloveubuntulinux
> <valchaulinux@...> wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> > Ubuntu 10.04 has been a very stable release for me and I am disappointed in Canonical
> > for releasing their new Unity desktop prior to it being really stable...I await their April
> > release this year, hoping they have stabilized their changes. I have used Ubuntu since
> > 2006 and only avoided using it during 2011 and this part of 2012. But 10.04 is still very good.
>
> Did you actually stop using Ubuntu during this time? Or do you just
> mean you stopped the distribution upgrades? 10.04, as 12.04, are long
> term support, meaning there is no reason not to continue using the
> desktop as security stays current (though 2015 at the moment).
>
> >
> > Note that the 12.04 release (which some of my Linux students are trying out) uses GRUB 2 and that sometimes this GRUB 2 has a problem identifying other Linux distros present if those use GRUB legacy version.
> >
>
> Not sure I follow unless you are chainloading a separate grub for each
> OS on the HD. If you are using Grub 2, this is not a bad idea, as
> Kernel updates are ignored if 'update-grub' is not run from the
> partition where it's bits and pieces sit (or so I've been told). I
> prefer to just install the old Grub though and not bother with Grub2.
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment