Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: ubuntu...

It sounds like you and Debian are a good fit.

Enjoy.

Roy

Sent by Android device
On Mar 21, 2012 1:46 PM, "Paul" <pfrederick1@yahoo.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
>
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:
> >
> > Debian can be difficult. It has never been considered user friendly. As
> of
> > Debian 6 they made things worse for most users when they stripped
> > proprietary blobs from the kernel. However its core users do not care.
> They
> > are more capable than most and care little for those who don't think like
> > them.
> >
> > I don't use it anymore because of all the attitude.
> >
> > You are right. Not all distros are easy to customize. Nor are all desktop
> > environments. Fortunately you can change those more easily than a
> > distribution.
> >
> > Roy
>
> So far I haven't found blob stripping all that big of an issue. I usually
> build a custom kernel anyways. Managing custom kernels is one place where I
> do appreciate package management too.
>
> If a distribution doesn't offer a particular version of a desktop
> environment it may not always be easy. So far I haven't bit the bullet
> downgrading KDE on my Squeeze box yet. I'm looking into it some now though.
>
> I'm thinking I might be able to get the deb source packages for Lenny and
> build them on my Squeeze box. If I can do that it might be the best way I
> can go.
>
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment